can't format my SSD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
netesh_paudel
Level 1
Level 1

can't format my SSD

Post by netesh_paudel »

I am stucked in intiramfs (busybox) problem since last 4 days, searched every possible solution but didn't worked for me. so I decided to format whole ssd through gparted from another linux system but i ain't able to format . When I format the system, gparted shows successful [img:(1)] but after closing the dialog automatically the deleted partition is retrieve [img:(2)] .

[img:(1)]

[img:(2)]

I checked for file system error and got this error :

recovering journal Superblock needs_recovery flag is clear, but journal has data.
Run journal anyway? y
/dev/sdb5: ********** WARNING: Filesystem still has errors **********

e2fsck: unable to set superblock flags on /dev/sdb5

PS: Already checked out command like : fsck /dev/sda5 etc but didn't worked for me .
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Re: can't format my SSD

Post by Larry78723 »

If there's no data you want to save, I suggest you create a new partition table through Gparted --> Device ---> Create New Partition Table. You can then create a partition and format it.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

If you do what Larry suggests, you will need an msdos partition table - you are booting in legacy mode.

I think the problem is because you have created a new partition in exactly the same place as the old partition. gparted did not wipe all the information in the old partition so you ended up with a broken filesystem. But I haven't seen this before.

Also suggest you don't do an 'erase and install' when you install mint again. Instead use gparted before you install to create one ext4 partition using the whole drive then when you install use the 'something else' option. The next screen shows your drives and partitions, click on the ext4 partition you just created with gparted, click on the change button and tell the installer to use the partition for / and reformat it.

Why do this?
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=326270&p=1855497&h ... l#p1855497
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
netesh_paudel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by netesh_paudel »

Actually when I tries to create new partition or resize or format, gparted give error : superblock need recovery flag is clear
Warning : filesystem still has error

Also had checked out the “something else “ method while installing, it do get format but after few second... whole data and partition recovers
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Gparted from live boot.
Select device. Create new partition table. Apply. (Apply is the tick icon)
Now create the partition. Apply.

You have to apply after each little change as Gparted can become confused. If you delete then create, apply the delete then apply the create. Multiple operations only work for things like creating several partitions in one big empty space.

Return to “Installation & Boot”