Linux Mint: Black Screen On Bootable USB

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bv3y82gfh
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint: Black Screen On Bootable USB

Post by bv3y82gfh »

Starting this past week as I try to boot the USB, I get errors that eventually lead me to a blank black screen with only the mouse pointer appearing where there should be a GUI.I tried turning off secure boot, going into compatability mode and these methods do nothing. When I check the integrity of the medium it says that there are no errors and then starts up normally but without my persistence storage or users available or intact. I tried finding a way to go to advanced settings in the grub menu based on youtube videos about faulty Nvidia drivers but I have no option to get to the same menu I see on most of these videos. My grub menu consists of Start Linux mint, Compatability mode, OEM install, and check the intergrity of the medium. I did recently update my Nvida drivers but from what I can recall it was actually working perfectly until a week afterwards. So I tried to disabling and uninstalling Nvidia Drivers or reverting to my previous version and it did nothing. So I ask if any of you would kindly assist me in knowing if my USB is corrupted or if their is still a chance for me to fix this. If my USB is not able to boot to the GUI, is it possible to extract the files even when I encrypted just the users directory and not the entire usb?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux Mint: Black Screen On Bootable USB

Post by SMG »

bv3y82gfh wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:53 pm Falling back to read-mount becaust the NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting)
Welcome to the forum, bv3y82gfh.

I moved your topic to the Installation & Boot section of the forum because it does not sound like a graphics card/driver issue.

The line I quoted above indicates the last time you left Windows you did not shut down. If Windows is left in a hibernation state then it causes issues with trying to boot other operating systems.

The message tells you to please resume using Windows and shut it down fully. Then you can try booting Linux Mint again.

It is possible a Windows update turned on the fast start-up option in the Windows Power States without you realizing it. Here is How to turn off fast startup or hybrid sleep in Windows. Once that is turned off, you should be able to shut down Windows fully and then be able to boot from Linux Mint.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
bv3y82gfh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bv3y82gfh »

Thank you for your assistance SMG. I followed your advice and turned off fast startup/hybrid sleep via the command line but it unfortunately did not work.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

bv3y82gfh wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:10 pmI followed your advice and turned off fast startup/hybrid sleep via the command line but it unfortunately did not work.
Are you getting the same error message? The error message you originally posted says Windows is still running.
bv3y82gfh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bv3y82gfh »

Ok so I took some screenshots so you can see. Although the falling back to read mount and Hibernation/fastboot error has gone away, I still get the previous errors that still result in a blank black screen.
Last edited by bv3y82gfh on Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

bv3y82gfh wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:02 am 3.JPG2.JPG1 (2).JPGOk so I took some screenshots so you can see. Although the falling back to read mount and Hibernation/fastboot error has gone away, I still get the previous errors that still result in a blank black screen.
The lines at the bottom of image 3 indicate to me there might be filesystem corruption. I did a search and found EXT4-fs error [...] iget: bad extra_isize which is the message which is there.

File system corruption can either be actual file corruption or corruption because the usb is going bad (and thus corrupting the files on it).

In order to run fsck, the file system has to be unmounted. I normally advise people to run a live session of Mint from the install usb in order to unmount the drive so fsck commands can be run.

I'm not sure what your options are given you are running from a usb. Maybe boot to a live session in a usb and then attach this problem usb and run fsck?

Here is HOWTO: Recover files from encrypted ecryptfs home directory which also indicates to boot to a live session of Mint with an install usb to get to what is in the encrypted /home.

Return to “Installation & Boot”