GRUB command line and loading kernel

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TechnoDiver
Level 2
Level 2

GRUB command line and loading kernel

Post by TechnoDiver »

Hi, community. I've got some trouble I need some help with..

I have mint una 20.3 normally. I'm on a Live version of mint on USB right now. So no real system specs
I bought an external HDD today. booted into my live usb, the one I'm on now, and did the partitioning and installation of mint onto the external.
When it finished, I changed the boot sequence back to my normal OS (it says UBUNTU in BIOS boot sequence menu) but it won't boot, it goes to the grub command line.
when I type 'boot' there it tells me I have to load the kernel.

So I'm not comfortable with my abilities to make the right decisions here and I need some guidance.
I booted back into liveUSB where I am now. and it shows 4 volumes on my Desktop. (all the 'ext4' partitions). It shows the 2 large /home partitions for each drive (the internal that I can't boot into any longer) and the external and it shows both their root partitions as volumes too.

All my files are on my original drive in the /home folder, it wouldn't let me copy/paste the files from one to the other, as I wanted to back them up before messing with grub and the kernel further.

What is the safest and best way to get my system right again? How do I get past grub cli, install a kernel and boot into my internal drive again? Thanks

EDIT: I have a BootRepair Info Summary if needed. I didn't include it because it's so long

Attachments
devices.png
devices.png (5.78 KiB) Viewed 528 times
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Re: GRUB command line and loading kernel

Post by kato181 »

Please read the forum rules with regards to Sect 5. Information is required of the system you have.
In terminal copy & paste the following command and post the results back here in between the code display brackets </> 5th icon above the text box.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
When rebooting you need to remove ALL the external drives. Do that, then reboot and see if it will then boot into LM.
TechnoDiver
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TechnoDiver »

I addressed that by saying I was liveBooting and didn't have a system in place yet.
Hawaiihemd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hawaiihemd »

TechnoDiver wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:04 pm I addressed that by saying I was liveBooting and didn't have a system in place yet.
Said commando works regardless and provides the needed info also on a USB live system
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

When it finished, I changed the boot sequence back to my normal OS (it says UBUNTU in BIOS boot sequence menu) but it won't boot, it goes to the grub command line.
I suspect the external drive was not connected when you booted? I think when you installed to the external drive it overwrote the copy of grub on your system drive.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

AndyMH wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:36 pm
I suspect the external drive was not connected when you booted? I think when you installed to the external drive it overwrote the copy of grub on your system drive.
That's my suspicion too.
Here is a process that should help you fix that without touching the terminal:
- get refind and make a live USB out of it : https://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/getting.html, download "A USB flash drive image file", unzip it, then burn "refind-flashdrive-versionnumber.img" to the USB (from Mint use USB Image Writer, from windows use Rufus or Etcher)
- boot that USB, it should auto-detect your system and allow you to boot the internal Mint
- in Mint, open the software manager, find which grub is installed (likely grub-efi-amd64) and reinstall it
- shutdown, unplug the USB stick, reboot normally
Jo-con-Ël
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

I'm agree with AndMH in any case but if it happens when external disk was connected (there are many cases with that new GRUB version resulting on grub shell even GRUB was installed properly) I wonder if you have just try exit on that shell.

About the result when running boot it is normal. The correct way to proceed if grub fails on accessing grub files on root partition is described here.

In any case that "soo long" Bootinfo summary is needed to be sure. You can upload on deticated web pages (it is offered when running BootInfo summary) as termbin.com, spectre...
Last edited by Jo-con-Ël on Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
bendipa
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bendipa »

What are you trying to boot from? Your external or internal HDD?
Computer: Dell Vostro 470
Systems: Linux Mint 21.2 Xfce (Victoria), Manjaro 23.1 Xfce (Vulcan), Windows 10 (22H2) Pro.
TechnoDiver
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TechnoDiver »

Thank you to all repliers.
I had everything backed up so I just reinstalled the OS, which was the goal anyways, and now booting the internal is normal again

I did notice when I tried to boot into my external that the same thing was happening, but I've partitioned the external now with part of it used for Timeshift snapshots.
Thanks for your replies, my system is normal again and I'll surely have to re-reference this post in the future

Return to “Installation & Boot”