Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
rustyp
Level 3
Level 3

Free Space 0 Bytes

Post by rustyp »

Linux Mint 19.2 Getting the low disk space warning, confirmed by starting File Manager and clicking on Home at the bottom it says Free Space 0 Bytes.

480GB drive.

I do not believe its actually full

Suggestions?

Thanks
Before posting on this site I always verify I have the latest version of Linux Mint Cinnamon installed and run Update Manager.
Thanks.
karlchen
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Free Space 0 Bytes

Post by karlchen »

Hello, rustyp.

Please, open a terminal window.
Execute the following commandline precisely as it has been type here:

Code: Select all

LC_ALL=C df -h | egrep "^/dev/|Filesystem"
Mark the complete text output, which the command will display, with your mouse.
Press <Shift><Ctrl>c in order to copy the marked output.
Paste the copied output into your next reply, please.
This should tell whether any relevant filesystem, / and/or /home, are completely filled.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
rustyp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rustyp »

karlchen wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:26 pm

LC_ALL=C df -h | egrep "^/dev/|Filesystem"
[..] This should tell whether any relevant filesystem, / and/or /home, are completely filled.

ooo@ooo-OMEN-by-HP-Desktop-PC-880-p0xx:~$ LC_ALL=C df -h | egrep "^/dev/|Filesystem"
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda2       439G  417G  192M 100% /
/dev/sda1       511M  4.4M  507M   1% /boot/efi
ooo@ooo-OMEN-by-HP-Desktop-PC-880-p0xx:~$
Last edited by karlchen on Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: shortened full quote of the post right above, applied [code] [/tags] around terminal command and terminal output
Before posting on this site I always verify I have the latest version of Linux Mint Cinnamon installed and run Update Manager.
Thanks.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

rustyp wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:19 pm
Linux Mint 19.2 Getting the low disk space warning, confirmed by starting File Manager and clicking on Home at the bottom it says Free Space 0 Bytes.
This means normally, that you are logged in, but the output tells us clearly, that your drive is full; in this case you shouldn't be able to log in. I do not find a explanation for this contradiction.

Boot the live system and make some space free, e.g. by moving user data to an external drive.
Gotcha!
rustyp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rustyp »

Cosmo. wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:49 pm
rustyp wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:19 pm
This means normally, that you are logged in, but the output tells us clearly, that your drive is full; in this case you shouldn't be able to log in. I do not find a explanation for this contradiction.

Boot the live system and make some space free, e.g. by moving user data to an external drive.
Now it says there is 199.7 MB free, I have done nothing but wait for a reply, moved deleted no files, what is going on? Strange.
Thanks.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

In your last post you quoted my post, but you did not say any word, which might clear up the situation. I do not even know, if you can log in or not.

In your output had been 192 MB reported as available, but this is ridiculous. If 192 or 199, this does not make any difference.

The main question is, where you have used the more than 400 GB. Very most likely the majority are user data, so you can - for the moment - move them to an external drive. You should get at least 10 GB free to prevent, that you again cannot log in. But also 10 GB is on the long run far too few.

You can use baobab to analyze your drive.
Gotcha!
mikaelrask
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mikaelrask »

Hey small tip check timeshift and see how often it takes a snapshot of your system and also delete old timeshift snapshots, if you have it set up.
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Graphic Card: NVIDIA 2070 super
Ram 32 GB
Kernel: 5.15.0-50 generic
LM Mate 21.

Laptop:
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-245m
Ram 4 gb
LM Mate 21
Kernel 5.15.0-50-generic
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

It's not a full drive. It's a full partition. Then again, in this case that's almost the same.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

mikaelrask wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:31 am
Hey small tip check timeshift and see how often it takes a snapshot of your system and also delete old timeshift snapshots, if you have it set up.
Careful! Who knows, if it are not even those old snapshots, which might later be needed. In any case, TS snapshots cannot fill a 400 GB partition. So we need answers.
Gotcha!
mikaelrask
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mikaelrask »

Cosmo. wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:20 am
mikaelrask wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:31 am
Careful! Who knows, if it are not even those old snapshots, which might later be needed. In any case, TS snapshots cannot fill a 400 GB partition. So we need answers.
yes that's way you always saves one snapshot but delete all the other ones, might should have added that to my answer. TS can use 400 gb if the user is not aware how often TS is taking a snapshot, could be something else as well i agree but TS was my thought when i read the users question/problem.
Ram 32 GB
LM Mate 21.

Laptop:
Ram 4 gb
LM Mate 21
Kernel 5.15.0-50-generic
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

400 GB for TS snapshots? Extremely unlikely. I keep 18 snapshots (boot time, hourly, daily, weekly, monthly) and the size of my snapshot folder is less than 30 GB. I doubt, that it would even be possible to fill 400 GB with snapshots, even if you want it.
Gotcha!
reticulatus

Post by reticulatus »

What does the following command output:

sudo du -sh /*
Be patient it may take some time to complete.

It will probably include some errors for items under /proc and /run, but these can be ignored.

Edit: once you have found which top level directory has the largest disk usage, you can drill down in that directory.
e.g. if it was /home, the next step would be to run:

sudo du -sh /home/*
mikaelrask
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mikaelrask »

cosmo, okey just a thought i have agian that might have been ts, but with your added information i aggre i must be something else here.
Ram 32 GB
LM Mate 21.

Laptop:
Ram 4 gb
LM Mate 21
Kernel 5.15.0-50-generic
reticulatus

Post by reticulatus »

I was reading recently about a bug that had affected the kactivitymanagerd daemon which caused it to create some 80GB database files in ~/.local/share/kactivitymanagerd.

That daemon may be running on your linux PC even if you aren't running a KDE desktop. Just running a KDE application could start it.

That made me realise that the command:

sudo du -sh /home/*
won't include any hidden directories or files.

To check the hidden directories and files in your home directory, use the following command instead:

du -sh .[^.]* | sort -rh
This will also sort the results in order of decreasing size.

Return to “Installation & Boot”