Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
yoyo4591
Level 1
Level 1

Boot Issue Following initramfs - Linux Mint 20.3

Post by yoyo4591 »

Hi
I'm new to linux so I may not express things in a manner that people are familiar with and this may not be the right thread to place this in, so if its not, just let me know.

The other day I did an update on Linux Mint. I have done them before without issue.
Following this update, I got a Busybox v1.30.1 ..... text string across the top of the monitor.
At the end of the message (on a new line) it had initramfs.
So I did some searching on the internet and then found what I needed to do.
The issue was apparently with sda2.
So I entered fsck /dev/sda2 -y and the machine went off and did things...all appeared good so far.
At the end, I had a flashing cursor.
I typed reboot
The machine started the reboot process...and that is where is stopped, never went beyond it.
What happens now is:
Start by booting the machine (either hot or cold start)
The machine starts, goes through the bios boot sequence, then goes through that part of the process where the linux mint logo appears then disappears, goes through something that has some teletype text on the screen then this disappears, then sits there and does nothing.

So from my perspective, it appears to get a way through the boot process and then hangs.
Not sure what is going on and I'm happy to do/try anything that people suggest.

regards
Jo-con-Ël
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Boot Issue Following initramfs - Linux Mint 20.3

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

First Bussybox <initramfs> shell would meant several things, the need to check filesystem root (often because off not enougth free space) is one of them.

Second, the problem after checking/repairing root filesystem and that black screen now, would be because updates, most probably because of changes on graphics card drivers, xserver config, kernel...

You can try to boot with a previuos kernel on GRUB menu Advanced options or do as indicated on release notes to solve freezes during the boot sequence onTips section..
After the installation, use "Advanced Options" -> "Recovery mode" from the boot menu and choose "resume".
You didn't mention you get GRUB menu on booting and you will need it to do as indicated. If you can not see that menu on booting try pressing Esc or tapping SHIFT key after PROMPT or computer maker's logo.

Once on graphic working session you can open a terminal and post back following codes result.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxz
If you can not boot in such way you will need to boot Linux Mint Live installation media and also post back sudo parted -l result.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
yoyo4591
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yoyo4591 »

Thanks for the reply.

Given my limited knowledge of Linux, I thought that I would start off with what you suggested around the GRUB Menu. So this is what I did:
Boot machine.
Wait for the second instance of the ASUS logo to disappear and press escape (the logo appears more than once when booting and if you tap the escape key after the first appearance it just goes straight through to the end)
This brought up the GRUB menu as can be seen on attached file.
Move highlighted bar down to "Advanced Options" and select
Brings up next menu (refer attached file)
Move highlighted bar down to "...... 5.4.0-125 generic recovery mode" and select
It runs through a lot of stuff then ends up at the next menu "Recovery Menu"
Recovery Menu looks a bit odd
If you touch right arrow key the cursor goes down to OK, then you touch the left arrow key and the cursor goes back into the recovery menu and you see the "Resume" option which states Resume Normal Boot
Select that
You instantly go to "You are now going to exit the ......." banner with OK highlighted.
Select OK
Cursor flashes a few times then you get a small message up the top left with some text that includes the machine name
That disappears
Then you get flashing cursor and it does not go beyond that. (refer last picture in attached file)

regards
Attachments
Screen Images 2022-10-02 v4.pdf
(108.12 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Jo-con-Ël
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

(repeated, so deleted)
Last edited by Jo-con-Ël on Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

I would try Linux Mint with a previous kernel only (not recovery mode) first, i.e. third option on Advanced options menu. If you can not boot in shuch way, as per previous post, do indicated with Linux Mint Live USB/DVD and post back those codes result.
Advanced Menu.png
Last edited by Jo-con-Ël on Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Arch_Enemy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Arch_Enemy »

To try a previous kernel:

Hold the Left SHIFT key down after the BIOS starts the computer.

You'll be presented with a menu that gives you recovery options.

Arrow down to the oldest kernel version and see what happen.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
yoyo4591
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yoyo4591 »

Thank you for the replies.

I started by going back into the GRUB Menu and going down to "Advanced Options...."

I selected "Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon with Linux 5.4.0 - 124 - generic" and ended up at the flashing cursor in the top left of the screen. In short it behaved the same.

I selected "Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon with Linux 5.4.0 - 124 - generic (recovery mode" and ended up at the flashing cursor in the top left of the screen. In short it behaved the same.

I even selected "Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon with Linux 5.4.0 - 91 - generic" and ended up with a blank screen.

I grabbed the USB that I used to install Linux Mint onto the machine, inserted it into a USB slot, booted the machine, changed the boot order to boot from USB first.

A menu eventually appeared on the screen and I tried to boot from the first option (it was not the compatibility option). It went to a blank screen and appeared to stop there. I guess that was the wrong option to select.

I rebooted the machine from the USB and selected the "compatibility mode" option. I eventually got a LM desktop.

Based on a previous question, I opened Terminal and typed "sudo part -l"

You can see the result in the 1st pic. It had a query at the end, so I selected "Ignore" to see what it would though up.

The 2nd pic shows the results.

The 3rd and 4th pic show the results from "inxi -Fxxxz"

Not sure what to look for in here.

regards
Attachments
Screen Images 2022-10-03.pdf
(168.63 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

Return to “Installation & Boot”