Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
codeman38
Level 1
Level 1

Solution for random shutdown on some laptops when installing

Post by codeman38 »

I have an older Gateway Solo 9500 laptop that I use as a spare, which I was trying to install Linux Mint Daryna on to try it out. I'd managed to get the 'regular' version of Ubuntu Gutsy to install using the Alternate Install CD; however, since Mint only comes in a live CD flavor, that wasn't exactly an option. The problem I encountered was that each time it got to about 94% in the install, during the "Detecting Hardware" phase, the computer would just suddenly shut itself down.

Sometimes the live CD would also fail to boot completely, producing a similar result; that was when I decided to go into a verbose boot and found that the issue lay in the driver 'iTCO_wdt', a 'watchdog timer' found on that particular laptop's motherboard whose purpose is, if I'm understanding correctly (bear with me, I'm a software guy, not a hardware guy) to shut the computer down if the timer is activated and then not accessed on a regular basis. And apparently it doesn't always get accessed on a regular basis once it's been activated.

The fix is, once the live CD has successfully booted (which may take a few tries), to blacklist that particular driver. Go into a Terminal and run:

Code: Select all

sudo rmmod iTCO_wdt
sudo rmmod iTCO_vendor_support
sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
That last command should open an editor for the blacklist file; add the following two lines at the end and save:

Code: Select all

blacklist iTCO_wdt
blacklist iTCO_vendor_support
Upon doing that, then try installing; it should get past the "Detecting Hardware" stage now.

Hope this helps anyone else with an old dinosaur of a laptop who was about ready to pull their hair out after multiple crashed installs...

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Solution for random shutdown on some older laptops

Post by Husse »

This is so interesting and helpful that I'll make it sticky
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

Matt79

Re: Solution for random shutdown on some laptops when installing

Post by Matt79 »

I am having the same trouble. But this hopfully with fix it. The only question I have is how to end and save in the terminal?
I know this is really basic but I do not now how.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

Well....
The commands you do are in a sense "complete" so saving is done with the commands if you like
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

Matt79
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Matt79 »

It was better than I thought it would be. I have always tried editing in the terminal. I did not know it would bring it up in a text editor. I was able to edit it and save it. However, my laptop still cuts off. Any Idea?

bhougland
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bhougland »

I tried this but after the first part it said:

bash blacklist: command not found. I take it that the problem of my computer turning off after 77 percent has been downloaded is not due to my this firmware on my motherboard, am I correct in this assumption? I was recently given a Dell inspirion 5150 laptop by my dad for a second computer. My main computer has Vista on it which my wife wont let me touch with another OS. I am really sad right now because I love Linux Mint.

More info: this computer originally had Ubuntu 8.04 on it, but my dad never used it so he gave it to me. I took it home and connected it to my ethernet cable so I could update the OS. I saw that there were 340+ updates to be made and i didnt know if it would be safe or not, but throwing caution to the wind I told Ubuntu to update. Approximately 5 minutes later my computer starts going ballistic and my fan starts running really hard and I can feel my computer get hot. It actually wouldn't shut down with the power button, so i pulled out the battery. Anyway, I wiped the drive with Dericks boot and nuke and now I am at the point where I can play with Linux mint in the live Cd mode, but once the install gets to 77 percent the system just shuts down. I really need some help :?

Thanks in advance,

toastthemost
Level 1
Level 1

Post by toastthemost »

I can't say my system shuts down, but the Installer quits on me at "Detecting Hardware", basically meaning I have to start from scratch again. Somehow, after getting to this point 3 times, and trying to boot after the uncompleted install (no error message or shut down, it just quits) each time, it has been plagued with an error of some sort. I am running an Acer Aspire 8930G laptop. Should I do this code for the install? Or am I having a different problem?

blakcshadow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blakcshadow »

Toast, I would look in the BIOS for some sort of built-in BIOS antivirus. I had an old desktop with that built in that caused a failure similar to what you are describing whenever i installed any Ubuntu distro after 7

OdderOtter
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Solution for random shutdown on some laptops when instal

Post by OdderOtter »

It is very frustrating.
I have tried two commercial disks. One of them worked on my desktop computer.
None has worked on my laptop.
It is running Mint 8, which is running badly, with sounds heard when the mouse moves, and frequent Open Office lockups.
All the stuff about changing things does not do the job as all that goes away when I boot into the live CD.
Is there an alternative to installing with an iso?

msnthrp
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Solution for random shutdown on some laptops when instal

Post by msnthrp »

My old laptop does much the same. Machine is a Compaq V2030US circa 2005. CPU 1.5GHz Celeron, 1.2GB of RAM.

I was running LM8 nicely but the 60GB hard drive was failing - kept getting a message on bad sectors. (The OEM machine had WinXP which I blitzed and replaced with LM8). I replaced the HD with a WD 80GB drive and decided to upgrade to LM9 at the same time. Put the LM9 CD in the drive and selected "Check Integrity". Integrity Check was successful and proceeded to the install. Went thru most of the Q&A and started the install - and the screen went blank. No keystrokes would revive it so I manually ejected the CD. This told me the install was aborted and the disc unmounted from the temporary OS. Repeated three times with exactly the same results.

Next tried the Ubuntu 10.04 install from the Linux Format disc LXFDVD133. Same results with two attempts. Third effort was to install Puppy Linux 5.0 from a verified CD. The Puppy live CD would not work in live mode in the machine. I next tried a Puppy v4 disc and it worked beautifully as usual. Puppy 5 is based on Ubuntu, Puppy 4 was not.

The commonality is Ubuntu. I have no idea what happens in there but in the three Ubuntu-based distros all choked at the same point, which I estimate is where the installer is switching from a VESA to the Xorg screen. Probably a driver issue of some sort.

However, I tried an install of PCLinuxOS and the thing runs very nicely, so I will leave it there for awhile. My main machine is nicely booting LM9, PC-BSD, and Puppy 5 (all booting from GRUB2) so I have plenty to occupy my time with them.

Good luck to all.

PS: Not all Linux fans are young guys. I am fully retired and 75 years young!!

Return to “Installation & Boot”