Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
messy
Level 1
Level 1

[solved]EFI Failure | Dual Boot Install

Postby messy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:15 am

Hi,

I have a Windows 7 Installation on my Sub-Notebook (lenovo S205). I want install Linux Mint as second OS (64Bit, USB-Install). I have tried it but without success (Live-CD-Install). A error prompt during the install process:
The 'grub-efi' package failed to install into /target/. Without the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot.

Anyone can help me? You need more information? Please ask me, I'm a newbie.

Regards
messy
Last edited by messy on Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Re: EFI Failure | Dual Boot Install

Postby srs5694 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:39 pm

It sounds like you've got an EFI-based computer, but it's conceivable the installer got confused and tried to install the wrong package. To be sure, check your Windows boot mode, as described here.

If you're booting Windows in EFI mode, you should almost certainly try to boot Linux in EFI mode, too. Several EFI boot managers and boot loaders exist; see this page I've written for details. Unfortunately, the GRUB 2 that Mint uses by default is easily the worst of these boot loaders, in my experience -- it's finicky and gets things wrong far too often. So you've got two main options, but the second has several variants. You might luck out with any of them and get it working quickly, or you might struggle with any of them:

• You can try to fix GRUB 2 as delivered by Mint. To do this, you'll need to look for the files it's installed in /boot/grub and /boot/efi/EFI/linuxmint (or conceivably some other subdirectory of /boot/efi/EFI), examine your EFI's boot loader list with the "efibootmgr" utility, examine the grub.cfg file (probably stored in /boot/grub), and troubleshoot in general.
  • You can install another boot loader to replace GRUB 2. This may be easier to start with, but since Linux Mint assumes the use of GRUB 2, you'll have more in the way of ongoing maintenance. My recommendation is to use either Fedora's patched GRUB Legacy (binary links are available here) or a combination of ELILO (a Mint package exists, called "elilo") to boot Linux and either rEFIt (a Mint package exists, called "refit") or rEFInd (there's no Mint package, but it's an updated and improved fork of rEFIt) to select the OS. Eventually, a combination of rEFInd with a 3.3.0 or later kernel will be the easiest to install and maintain, but Mint doesn't yet ship with a new enough kernel for this to work.

Post back with confirmation (or denial) that you're booting Windows in EFI mode and a decision on what general approach you'd like to take and I (and perhaps others) can help you with the details.

messy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby messy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:09 pm

At first: Thanks a lot for your detailed description.
It doesn't sound easy to fix it. The partition table type of my system is "Master Boot Record (MBR)".

srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Postby srs5694 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:15 pm

If you've got an MBR partition table, then chances are that you're not booting in EFI mode on the Windows side, and therefore should not be installing Mint in EFI mode. I've seen reports of this sort of mismatch before; apparently some manufacturers are delivering EFI-enabled hardware with Windows booting in BIOS mode, but some Linux installers boot in EFI mode on such systems, which results in an unbootable installation.

The simplest solution is probably to figure out how to get the Mint installer to boot in BIOS mode. Check your firmware boot options; there may be a way to force it to boot in BIOS mode rather than use EFI mode. If not, you can probably do it by removing a file from the USB flash drive -- removing /efi/boot/bootx64.efi on that drive will probably do it (assuming it uses an x86-64 CPU; the filename varies depending on your CPU architecture). With that file gone, the USB flash drive will be unbootable in EFI mode, so if it boots at all, it'll be in BIOS mode, and things should go more smoothly.

To verify that you're booting in BIOS mode, hit Ctrl+Alt+F1 (or possibly some other function key; details vary from one distribution to another, and I don't recall what Mint uses, offhand) to get to a shell prompt. You can then look for the /sys/firmware/efi directory. If it's present, you've booted in EFI mode and you should start again. If it's absent, you've probably booted in BIOS mode and can proceed -- hit Alt+F7 (or sometimes Alt+F8) to get back to the installer screen and proceed.

messy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby messy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:11 am

I don't have any boot options to force it in BIOS mode. When I delete the /efi/boot/bootx64.efi and boot from USB-Device, it shows an error: "Remove media. Restart".

Edit:
I tried the installation again. And now it completed without errors but when I reboot it always starts windows. No grub bootloader or something else...

srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Postby srs5694 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:24 am

I can think of several ways to go now:

• Return the computer to the store for a different model, since it's clearly got a POS firmware implementation.
  • Use a Linux emergency disk to install a BIOS version of GRUB on the computer. Something like Parted Magic might do for this (I don't recall offhand if it's got everything needed to install GRUB, though). You might even be able to use the Mint installer in "try it before installing" mode. You'll need to track down step-by-step instructions to get this to work, and I'm afraid I don't have a URL handy.
  • Install a different Linux distribution in the hopes that it will boot into BIOS mode on your computer. It's possible that a 32-bit version of Mint will do the job (assuming you're trying to install the 64-bit version now, of course).
  • Use this procedure to convert your Windows installation to boot in EFI mode. Once both Windows and Linux are set to boot in EFI mode, it should work better. (You might need to re-install Linux or at least re-install its boot loader, though.)

messy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby messy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:45 am

I have it! Yesterday i found this tutorial: http://helms-deep.cable.nu/~rwh/blog/?p=177
The solution is to uninstall GRUB2 and install GRUB and use the WIndwos boot loader. Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards
messy

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [solved]EFI Failure | Dual Boot Install

Postby pqwoerituytrueiwoq » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:55 pm

running this before installing made it work

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update;sudo apt-get install grub-efi grub-efi-amd64 grub-efi-amd64-bin

running 64bit mint 13 xfce

edit: got no os found, must be bios not efi on this laptop

Return to “Installation & Boot”