Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
footballer
Level 1
Level 1

Dual boot with Windows 7, no Grub menu?

Post by footballer »

Hello,

I installed linux mint 12 with default options on a laptop with windows 7. At startup never show me to choice boot, always start with Windows 7 boot directly, any help please.

Thanks
HughT
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Dual booting with windows 7

Post by HughT »

hi footballer, try re-installing the bootloader to the mbr again. First you'll need to find out about your partitions - using your Mint disk in 'live CD' mode, open terminal and copy in the code

Code: Select all

sudo blkid
the output should be something like this:

/dev/sda1: LABEL="Windows XP" UUID="22E06A0FE069EA0D" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda2: LABEL="Mandriva 2011" UUID="e4a3e8bb-4054-4be9-9a31-98763fad125d" TYPE="ext3"
/dev/sda3: LABEL="Mint Linux 11" UUID="501d6859-824d-4bdc-8b6d-12f181a8a6e7" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda5: UUID="f19e48ca-2030-48b0-b381-9bc114fe18ae" TYPE="swap"

make a note of the Mint partition, in my case it's sda3, then

sudo mount /dev/sda3 /mnt
replace sda3 with the appropriate drive and partition for your Mint, then.

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
note - there's a gap between =/mnt and /dev, and no partition number after sda

re-boot into Mint then

sudo update-grub
hope this helps you, regards
Please Edit your post title and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Dual boot with Windows 7, no Grub menu?

Post by xenopeek »

footballer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by footballer »

Thanks, works fine. Problem solved.
Shibblet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shibblet »

footballer wrote:Hello,

I installed linux mint 12 with default options on a laptop with windows 7. At startup never show me to choice boot, always start with Windows 7 boot directly, any help please.

Thanks
There are a couple of ways to do this. First off, I am going to assume you are capable of installing Linux Mint, and understand the concept of a boot disk.

First, partition your hard drive in Windows 7, give yourself a large enough drive to install Mint onto. Then run the Mint Installer. When you get to the part that asks you where you want to install it, you set up your own area. Choose the second partition, and make that your "/" drive. This is a standard way to do this.

Then, here comes your choice of two different ways to boot.

First, pick the main HD as where you are supposed to install GRUB (usually SDA). This will put Grub overtop of your Windows 7 boot partition, and allow you to boot to either Linux Mint or Windows 7.

The other (personally more favorable) way to do this, is to choose your Linux Partition as a place to install Grub (usually SDA2). Then download a Windows Program called EasyBCD (http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/) With this program, you can alter your Windows bootloader to make the choice between Mint and Windows 7. Therefore if you ever choose to remove Linux, you won't have to find a creative way to remove GRUB. However, you will choose which OS to boot from in the Windows Bootloader, and then choose again in Grub. It's a two step process, but more favorable for removal.
Holy Cripes on Toast!
Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Return to “Installation & Boot”