Rescue lost data after installing Maya

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
paulo.delavega
Level 2
Level 2

Rescue lost data after installing Maya

Post by paulo.delavega »

(I'm not sure where to ask this, so, sorry if I posted on the wrong place)

So I've installed Maya. Everything went well, except for one thing:

I have a separate /home partition that was formatted as ext3. During the install, I accidentally changed it to ext4 and lost all my data.
Is there any way to recover it? I keep a backup of the most important files on Dropbox, so it's not a very big deal, but it would be nice to have everything back.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BrianD

Re: Rescue lost data after installing Maya

Post by BrianD »

nope. it's gone. when you re-partitioned/formatted the /home partition, you lost all of the data that was originally stored there. you should have received a confirmation (requiring an "ok" or "cancel" response) message to that effect before the old partition was re-formatted.
paulo.delavega
Level 2
Level 2

Post by paulo.delavega »

I got the confirmation, but I didn't choose to format the partition. I just changed the type from ext3 to ext4.
My fault, anyway :(

Thanks!
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

paulo.delavega wrote:I got the confirmation, but I didn't choose to format the partition. I just changed the type from ext3 to ext4.
My fault, anyway :(

Thanks!
TestDisk and Photorec can save your data .. :wink:

Return to “Installation & Boot”