Pedrinho
Level 1
Level 1

Changing from grub to windows loader

Postby Pedrinho » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:08 am

Hello there,

At first, sorry for my bad English.
I have an Acer Aspire 5750 (Core i3).
It cames with Windows 7, and it is still installed as default.
I created a 20 gb partition and installed Linux Mint 13, and it is working.
When I installed LM13, it installed Grub on its default location, and after that, I already figured out how to swap the SO order, to make Windows the default (because my wife still uses Windows, and I don't want to force her to choose Windows 7 in the grub menu every time she starts the computer).
My question is: how can I give boot control do Windows loader, instead of Grub, keeping, on loader, the option of booting LM13?
I already found a way to fix mbr with a MS tool, but that option would rip off LM13, and I want to keep it as an option.

oobetimer
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Changing from grub to windows loader

Postby oobetimer » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:59 pm

One choice is to use NeoGrub which comes with EasyBCD. If you have more than one operating system, you need an external boot device if you want that Windows boots up without boot menu. EasyBCD makes its menu also, and I think that EasyBCD is more difficult to remove than grub if it is needed .. :wink:

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/NeoGrub

You can make an USB-bootstick for you, so your wife is not compelled to see a boot menu .. :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=53070&p=304874&hilit=%2Fdev%2Fsdb#p304874

Pedrinho
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Pedrinho » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:57 am

Thanks! I'll take a look.
But as I said, I don't want that Windows boots up without menu; I want to change the boot menu from Grub to Windows Loader. Doing so, I will still be able to choose Windows 7 (as default) or Linux Mint during startup, and when (and if) I decide to give my notebook to my wife (who doesn't use Linux), I could simply delete the partition where Linux Mint is installed without any hassle with boot configs. While Grub is installed, I can't do this, because doing so (deleting Mint partition) Windows would not boot (at least I presume; correct me if I am wrong, please!).
Lets put is simple: I installed Linux Mint, so installed Grub to dual boot Mint / Windows 7. I simply want to give boot control to Windows Loader, maintaining Linux Mint as an option via menu - so, I don't want to go "without menu", as you stated before...
(Again, sorry for my bad English).

oobetimer
Level 7
Level 7

Postby oobetimer » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:17 pm

You can remove grub using LILO and then windows boots like it is used to boot .. :wink:

sudo apt-get install lilo
sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr

A video about removing the grub: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB8NVzkgdEA&feature=plcp

rsxhawk
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rsxhawk » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:39 am

Will this same method work to remove the grub boot loader even if i'm not dual booting with windows? I JUST installed mint a couple days ago and I tried using vmware workstation 9 for linux and it made my entire system puke, couldn't recover it - so I reinstalled mint, but now every time I boot, the grub menu shows up first even though it never did before. How can I just get the computer to boot without seeing the menu?
Linux Mint 14 Nadia w/Cinnamon - BitFenix Prodigy (White) - ASUS P8H77-I Motherboard - Intel Core i5 3570K - 8GB GSkill Ares Memory - Kingston 90 GB SSD - Seagate 1 TB HD - ZALMAN CNPS8000B 92mm - LG Blu Ray Burner

usbtux
Level 5
Level 5

Postby usbtux » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:31 pm

Just change the boot order to windows as default and cut down the grub count down time.
http://goo.gl/DXKgM LinuxMint tutorials.
Running LinuxMint 17.3 Mate. Pepermint 6 & Manjaro 15.12 Capella XFCE
http://goo.gl/WFu0u Installing Mint - the screen cast videos.
linuxcounter #368850

Return to “Installation & Boot”