Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
HankB
Level 2
Level 2

Installation on a 4GB system?

Post by HankB »

I had Mint 11 running on my Eee PC 901 which has a 4GB system drive and 16GB drive for user files. I was not happy because WiFi wold not resume unless it was on AC power so I thought I'd upgrade. I gave Debian LXDE a shot and seems like it takes a lot of configuration. I'd rather have something that installs and I can do what I want.

I gave Mint 12 LXDE a shot and it comes up in text mode. No X. :( No obvious errors in the X log file. Regular installs for 13 (Mate or Cinnamon) seem like they require more than 4GB for the base install. I'm running into the the same issue with the Gnome install for Mint 12. :(

Any suggestions for an easy to install release that will fit on a 4 GB partition are welcome. (RAM is less an issue at 2GB. At least 2GB used to be a lot of RAM. :roll: )

thanks,
hank
HankB
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Installation on a 4GB system?

Post by HankB »

Thanks for the tip. I just gave antiX a shot. Unfortunately the install did not support setting the second drive as /home. It displayed "root" for the device in the install. After I fixed it following the first boot I can no longer log in from the display manager. I can login on a console window and /home is in the right place. I suppose there's some configuration in my home directory that's messing up X. :( Maybe time to backup and reformat my home directory as well.
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 »

Try Solus OS.

http://solusos.com/
anticapitalista
Level 2
Level 2

Post by anticapitalista »

HankB copy over the contents of /etc/skel as user to your /home partition (including the . dot files) antiX needs an ~/.xinitrc

Return to “Installation & Boot”