Java not able to install in linux mint 12

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scslomberg

Java not able to install in linux mint 12

Post by scslomberg »

I have asked google for help in trying to install java in Linux mint 12 with not luck. I used the java.com instructions and no luck at all. I am a newbie and need simple directions.

S C Slomberg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
veggen

Re: Java not able to install in linux mint 12

Post by veggen »

Are you aware that Mint 12 comes with Java already installed? If your browser says otherwise, you might want to check if it's aware of the Java plugin. But Java itself is already installed.
scslomberg

Re: Java not able to install in linux mint 11

Post by scslomberg »

So sorry but I meant for Linux Mint 11 not 12.

Please reply
veggen

Re: Java not able to install in linux mint 12

Post by veggen »

First of, just to make sure, type "java" in the terminal to assert if Java really is not installed. after that, check the official repos first.
If you get nothing, check this, (a tutorial using a PPA) or this topic (it links to a good tutorial for manual installation and also offers a script for automation).

NOTE: I haven't personally installed Java this way, so I can't vouch for any of these methods. But looking at the steps, it looks correct.

If you have problems, post here with detailed description of what you did so far.

Btw, does anyone know what would happen if one would use a package for a previous or future Mint version? Would it generally work?

Return to “Installation & Boot”