Cannot install, drm_get_pci_dev+0x14b/0x2a0, computer frozen

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GunNam

Cannot install, drm_get_pci_dev+0x14b/0x2a0, computer frozen

Post by GunNam »

My system:
Dell XPS 8300
Intel Core i7-2600 (8BM Cache, 3.4GHz)
NVidia GTX 420 1GB DDR3

I have tried both the 32bit & 64bit installations of Cinnamon and I am getting the same error.

When I try to install, I get the following screen and my computer is frozen:

drm_get_pci_dev+0x14b/0x2a0 [drm]
? _raw_spin_lock_irqsave+0x2d/0x40
nouveau_pci_probe+0xd/oxf [nouveau]
local_pci_probe+0x47/0xb0
pci_device_probe+0x68/0x90
? sysfs_create_link+0x17/0x20
etc...

I am installing from the CD-ROM if that matters. (booting into CDRom with the installation disk).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
breaker

Re: Cannot install, drm_get_pci_dev+0x14b/0x2a0, computer fr

Post by breaker »

I see you got the same error with Ubuntu 12.04 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... st12007086

You wrote at the end:
Before I tried Ubuntu, I installed Linux Mint. It went all the way through the install, then I had to go into compatibility mode to install the proprietary NVidia driver (recommended & current driver). Afterwards, it would not boot into the X Server. I get the same error when trying to install Ubuntu 12.04, which is partly included on my initial post.
This would have been good to know in your initial post. The exact steps you took, and any special work around you had to take.

If you have to go into compatibility mode to install a driver, chances are you won't be able to run the system outside of compatibility mode after that, so it doesn't help.

If you added i915.modeset=0 to the kernel boot line, will it boot.

Sounds like a driver conflict with the kernel. Perhaps see if the newer kernel will work 3.4.1 or maybe try the Ubuntu Alpha version.

Linux 3.3.8 fixed some drm/i915 bugs - http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/ ... eLog-3.3.8

Linux Mint 13 and Ubuntu 12.04 use Linux 3.2 I think.

Return to “Installation & Boot”