Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wentnuts
Level 1
Level 1

Can't boot Linux Mint 13 from HDD without USB flash drive

Post by wentnuts » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:23 pm

I recently installed Linux Mint 13 on my laptop with Windows 7 installed. I used a USB flash drive formatted to be bootable with Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 32-bit ISO and did a full install, replacing the old OS. The installation went great but when I rebooted the machine, it won't boot from the hard drive. I already tried a couple of times in rearranging the order of the devices to be booted from in the BIOS. I can't boot the OS without having to boot from the USB flash drive first like what I did with the installation.

I'm really new at these kinds of things so I'm sorry if I posted this on the wrong subforum and etc. If you could help me to be familiar with Linux, especially the Terminal stuff and those terminologies, please provide links to guides and articles which would teach me the basics. Thank you! Maraming salamat!

danalvares
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't boot Linux Mint 13 from HDD without USB flash driv

Post by danalvares » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:49 pm

I downloaded and installed the same version as you. Everything works fine if I boot the OS using the USB stick with the bootable install image and I have got the same problem as you. My netbook starts the boot and after BIOS screen all becomes black with a blinking underline in the screen. I have no clue what I should do about. Hope to get some help here!

oobetimer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by oobetimer » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:00 am

wentnuts wrote: I can't boot the OS without having to boot from the USB flash drive first like what I did with the installation.[/i]
Sounds like that grub is installed to USB flash drive. You could boot using SuperGrub2 and then reinstall grub to the hard drive´s MBR.

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/super-grub2-disk/

You can install grub via your USB flash also. I goes something like this:

1. Open terminal and make some commands

sudo blkid # tells the media
sudo mount /dev/sdxy /mnt # where x=hard drive and y=partition
sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sdx # where x=hard drive (probably sda)
sudo umount /mnt
exit

asabatelli
Level 1
Level 1

Post by asabatelli » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:51 pm

I'm having a very similar issue, and please forgive my ignorance, but I can't decipher the instructions of oobetimer... "# tells the media"--type in those exact words, or is that shorthand for something else?? Also "x= hard drive and y=partition".. I'm not sure what to look for/put in for these values?? If you could, please, for a relative newbie, spell this out a little more clearly, I'd appreciate it, and thanks.

caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:00 pm

Just boot using the flash drive, (assuming that it's booting the installed system?)

Open a terminal

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub

Code: Select all

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
reboot without the flash drive
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon

j_michael_thomas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by j_michael_thomas » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Thank-you Caf. Head ache finally going away now. I owe you one.

Return to “Installation & Boot”