Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wpshooter
Level 5
Level 5

corruption on screen/display just after login

Post by wpshooter » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:30 pm

I am looking for a distro to use instead of Ubuntu 12.04. I just can stand that Unity interface. Have tried other interfaces on 12.04 and none of them are 100% satisfactory.

I have tried several different distributions of Linux and I think I am going to opt for Linux Mint 12.

One small problem I have with Mint (version 12) is that after I get it installed to the hard drive and just AFTER I login and just BEFORE it goes to the Mint desktop, I get this weird corruption (pixelation) on the screen / display, which goes away when the system gets to the Mint desktop (which looks just fine). I do NOT get this weird corruption on the several other distribtions (including Ubuntu 12.04) that I have tried.

This corruption does not seem to hurt anything BUT I don't like this type of stuff occurring especially if I have a friend that I am trying to convince to use Linux. Their very first question is going to be what is all that weird stuff !!!

Any idea as to what is causing this screen corruption and how to fix it (without reinventing the wheel) ???

Thanks

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: corruption on screen/display just after login

Post by xenopeek » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:38 pm

Sometimes screen resolutions are switched from the login screen to the desktop. Though that may not be the case here. Perhaps try Linux Mint 13 instead of 12?

wpshooter
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wpshooter » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:42 pm

Vincent Vermeulen wrote:Sometimes screen resolutions are switched from the login screen to the desktop. Though that may not be the case here. Perhaps try Linux Mint 13 instead of 12?
Thanks for that suggestion but unfortunately I do not have a DVD drive (only CD). Any way around that problem that you know of ?

Thanks.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:42 pm

Install from USB instead?

Return to “Installation & Boot”