Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Circle Line Square
Level 1
Level 1

Re: SOLVED - Linux Mint 13 UEFI boot

Post by Circle Line Square » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:16 am

I have read all of this and it is so beyond me.... I don't even know where to start in solving this problem. This whole this is written for non-beginners. Unfortunately, I have a new Vaio and cannot install Mint 12. All the stuff that's been posted - whether here or anywhere else - speaks not in laymen's terms. In the spirit of Orsen Wells, can someone please explain what I should do, as in STEP 1? I'm a newbie and if I can't figure this out, I'm going to have to sell this computer and lose money on it....

Circle Line Square
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Circle Line Square » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:42 am

Guys, I am such a newbie. I have read trhough all this stuff and have no clue what you are talking about. Any chance things could be put plainly, step-by-step? I fell like I should just sell this stupid laptop I just bought (and haven't used!!!!). I have never run into a problem installing a n OS before, but this is beyond me a t the moment. Help me learn!

srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:01 pm

Circle Line Square,

As I write, you've posted twice to this forum -- your two posts in this thread. Those two posts provide no information about what you're doing or what's not working for you, except the very general claim that you've got a problem. We can't really help you if we don't know what sort of problem you're facing. I recommend you begin a new thread (one that's not conspicuously marked as "SOLVED") with a descriptive title ("Mint installer not booting on UEFI system", "Mint installer shows no partitions", "Mint installs but won't boot on UEFI", or something similarly descriptive), pointers to what you've read to attempt to resolve the problem, and a description of any steps you may have taken. Also, the RESULTS.txt file that Boot Info Script produces, posted as an attachment or in code blocks, may be helpful. Feel free to post a link in this thread to your new one if you want to alert anybody who might be following this thread about your new post.

Skara Brae
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Skara Brae » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:14 pm

srs5694 wrote:That sounds more like a video driver issue than a firmware/boot issue to me, although it could be that the boot loader isn't handling the video hardware properly. How long does it take you to get to a stable (albeit unusable) screen? The longer the time, the more likely it's an X11 video driver issue.
The grey screen ("Maya") or black screen (Xubuntu 12.04) appears very quickly - after about less than a minute?

My DVD writer (brand Samsung) spins for about two minutes or so, just as optical drives have always done with live-CD's/DVD's (Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Fedora 17, OpenSUSE (order goes from good to bad) ). All the while there is a white, blinking cursor at the top left (both in "Maya" as in Xubuntu).

After those couple of minutes, the drive stops spinning. The blinking cursor is still there, but nothing happens. I have to push the RESET button to restart the computer (the guy who invented the RESET button of PC cases should get a memorial that reaches all the way to the Moon - what a brilliant invention!).

I tried the live-DVD of "Mint" again just a while ago: again I got the grey screen w/ blinking cursor. This time, the Numlock was off and didn't switch on when I pressed the Numlock key. After hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL a few times, the DVD writer spewed out the Live-DVD disk...

I threw in a Fedore 17 live-DVD, which "hung" at "Press any key to enter the menu. Booting Fedora-17-etc in 0 seconds...".
After passionately hitting Enter a few times, it continued loading, and I got into a fully functioning live session of Fedora 17 (with the awful Gnome 3--which on second thought looked like I could live with it, if absolutely need be...)

So,
- Mint 13 "Maya" won't start up live: I get a light grey screen with a white, blinking cursor.
- Xubuntu 12.04 won't start up live: I get a black screen with a white, blinking cursor.
- Fedora 17 had a little "hickkup", but then continued starting up "live" and seemed to work fine (including onboard audio, and Flash on Youtube.)

I guess I might be able to get used to Fedora (with xfce instead of Gnome 3 maybe?), but it would not be my first (or second) choice of distro.
srs5694 wrote:FWIW, if the computer really is running Vista "out of the box," it seems unlikely that it would be based on UEFI.
You are right: when I ran the command you had given - bcdedit - the PATH indeed showed winload.exe and not winload.efi.

I dived into the BIOS of my Gigabyte "H77-D3S" mobo, where it says:
"PCI ROM Priority - Legacy ROM"
instead of EFI Compatible ROM.

I had already changed that, hoping that would be the cause of my Maya and Xubuntu problem But alas, Xubuntu and "Maya" won't start up live (the "regular" way).

Now what?

Fedora (to keep it easy...)?
Codename "PUMA": Intel Core i5-3450 // Gigabyte GA-H77-D3H // 1 x 4 GB DDR3-RAM // Gigabyte Geforce GTX 460 // WD Caviar Blue 500 GB (S-ATA) // Samsung WriteMaster DVD-rw // Aopen QF50C PC case
--
Registered Linux User #495429

srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:22 pm

Skara Brae wrote:
srs5694 wrote:That sounds more like a video driver issue than a firmware/boot issue to me, although it could be that the boot loader isn't handling the video hardware properly.
The grey screen ("Maya") or black screen (Xubuntu 12.04) appears very quickly - after about less than a minute?
Given your description (most of which I've snipped for brevity), I continue to suspect a video driver issue. You say your system is based on a Core i5. Are you using the built-in Intel video? If so, what chipset are you using? For purposes of this thread, those questions are pretty much rhetorical, since given the information below, I don't believe this is a UEFI issue, and you should begin a new thread to catch the attention of those who are more familiar with video issues.
srs5694 wrote:FWIW, if the computer really is running Vista "out of the box," it seems unlikely that it would be based on UEFI.
You are right: when I ran the command you had given - bcdedit - the PATH indeed showed winload.exe and not winload.efi.

I dived into the BIOS of my Gigabyte "H77-D3S" mobo, where it says:
"PCI ROM Priority - Legacy ROM"
instead of EFI Compatible ROM.

I had already changed that, hoping that would be the cause of my Maya and Xubuntu problem But alas, Xubuntu and "Maya" won't start up live (the "regular" way).
You'll obviously need to solve your display problems, whether by getting Mint to boot with a display or by switching to Fedora. Once you've done that, be sure to boot the installer in BIOS mode; if you install in EFI mode, you'll end up with an inconsistent mish-mash of EFI and BIOS boot loaders, which will simply require repair. See the What's Your Boot Mode page of my rEFInd documentation for more on how to determine your boot mode.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:30 pm

If you can get it to display the "Automatic boot in 10 seconds" screen (in Mint 13, it has a black background with Mint logo at the top) you can press a key there for Compatibility Mode. That should work for computers with display issues. If that doesn't fix anything, you have at least ruled out issues with your GPU.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Skara Brae
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Skara Brae » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:40 pm

srs5694 and albertp,
I thank you both for your time to read my postings. I very much appreciate it. I will look into it (and no longer post in a thread that is marked as "solved").
Codename "PUMA": Intel Core i5-3450 // Gigabyte GA-H77-D3H // 1 x 4 GB DDR3-RAM // Gigabyte Geforce GTX 460 // WD Caviar Blue 500 GB (S-ATA) // Samsung WriteMaster DVD-rw // Aopen QF50C PC case
--
Registered Linux User #495429

powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:54 pm

Skara Brae wrote:srs5694 and albertp,
I thank you both for your time to read my postings. I very much appreciate it. I will look into it (and no longer post in a thread that is marked as "solved").
Haven't been around for some time. I don't see a problem posting in this thread, as long as it 1) relates to the subject or problem solved; 2) you get help - it's the results that count.

In your case, if it's not an UEFI issue, it may be better to open a new thread as suggested by srs5694.
Asus Sabertooth X79, i7 3930K CPU, 8x4GB Kingston DDR3, Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler, GTX 970 + Quadro 2000 GPU, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Sandisk 120GB + Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD + 4 HDD, Corsair 500R, SeaSonic 660W Gold X PS https://heiko-sieger.info

Return to “Installation & Boot”