Mint and Asus K8N4-E

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Mint and Asus K8N4-E

Post by Husse »

Has anyone succeeded installing or booting from the live CD where the motherboard is Asus K8N4-E?
According to a post in a german Ubuntu forum this board must boot with the option acpi=off due to a "timer problem" (my german is getting a bit rusty but I think that's what they ment).
I'v also seen that with the kernel version 2.6 you should use the option "pci=nommconfig" due to some other oddity with this board.
NB this is only for the K8N4-E not for other version of K8N4, and there are several versions.

nForce 4 boards are unfortunately known to be a bit troublesam also under Windows....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

ive got a similar problem with an Asus motherboard, i got it to install using an edgy eft ubuntu alternate cd,
dapper drake and all versions of mint dont work, neither does dreamlinux, neither does fedora core 6

the only disc i can get to boot on this is edgy, feisty, and kororaa XGL
all things considered this motherboard sucks

i recommend installing edgy than adding the mintrepos and instaling that way,
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

You could also pass these at boot time with F6 on the livecd:

noacpi acpi=off noapic nolapic

Nforce motherboards have always been a pain.

That is why I opted for a Core 2 Duo on an Intel chipset for my latest build. Works fantastic out of the box.

I also have an Abit NF7-S V2.0 that my kids use with an Athlon XP 2400+ and in the beginning it was a pain to install linux on it but it isn't anymore.

My Nforce3 250 chipset Asus K8N seemed to work fine as well but onyl with Nvidia video cards.

The agpgart support in the kernel is not there for these and the nvidia driver includes their own agpgart that works fine.

Return to “Installation & Boot”