Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Chrisnz
Level 2
Level 2

Mint 4 and "beyond"!

Post by Chrisnz » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:24 pm

Recently I was trying to install Mint 12 on a old laptop, but for some reason the lappy would not recognise the .iso file on bootup. So in the end I decided to remove Unity and simply put and older version of Mint on it. V4 Daryna.
Now I find that on upgrading the version is fails on the server location? Is it because all the files have become archived or something else?
In the end I was hopeing for a more recent Mint to be loaded on the laptop.

a) Is it then a waste of time updateing Daryna and simply download a latter version than I can get to work on boot up or
b) readreess the repositories to the correct ones and continue through to a later version if possible?

OK I see now that that i would have to get Lucid or above as older versions are now obolute.

truexfan81
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint 4 and "beyond"!

Post by truexfan81 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:32 am

*facepalm*

sagirfahmid3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by sagirfahmid3 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:36 am

*sigh*...You cannot do that considering that libraries and programs are SO old in Mint 4 that they've been obsoleted since a long time ago. It doesn't work that way.
You must reinstall; if Mint doesn't cooperate, try LMDE, Fedora, OpenSUSE, or Debian...there are tons of Linuxes that might work on your computer.

nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:36 am

You should give more information on the hardware so we can help you better. RAM, CPU, HDD, VGA, etc?

Lightweight supported Mint editions with more than 6 months to EOL are:
- Mint 9 Fluxbox LTS CD
- Mint 9 LXDE CD
- Mint 12 LXDE LTS CD
- LMDE XFCE DVD
- (expected soon) Mint 13 XFCE DVD

Make sure you check the md5sum of the ISO file before burning the image. Do not burn it as a file. You can use Plop to try to boot from USB.

Return to “Installation & Boot”