Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
scot^2
Level 2
Level 2

Will installing Mint 13 remove all partitions? <SOLVED>

Post by scot^2 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:53 pm

I have a Lenovo Y730 with Vista installed (C), and so there is a hidden drive (D) which is apparently where a factory backup or recovery is stored and periodically, automatically, updated. I want to replace Vista entirely with Mint 13 and never return.

When the Windows Installer of Mint 13 gives me the option to replace Vista, will it automatically remove the C/D partition? If not, should I remove the partition some other way first and wipe the entire hard drive?

Thanks.
Last edited by scot^2 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Will installing Mint 13 as a replacement remove partitio

Post by Reorx » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:11 pm

I would boot a live DVD or USB and start Gparted... Then I would delete all partitions on the HD. Once the disk is "blank" you can do a fresh install from scratch (from the live medium)... You can let the install routine do all the work of repartitioning or you can choose to do it yourself.

The last time I did a fresh install on a blank HD I created a 25BG partition for /, a swap partition that was 1.2 x the RAM in size, and the rest of the disk for /home. There are a lot of different schemes for partitioning HDs and much discussion has been devoted to it on this and other forums. This particular approach is my favorite this week... :)

Good luck!
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

scot^2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by scot^2 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:36 pm

Thanks Reorx. So the procedure is this:

1. Boot into Mint from DVD or USB.

2. From inside Mint run Gparted and delete the partition.

3. Then from inside Mint choose to install Mint permanently as a replacement.

4. The ensuing install routine will give me the option of manually or automatically choosing the partitions for Mint.

So in this process I don't have to uninstall Vista or do a special wipe of the hard drive after the partition deleted? Gparted or the Mint install routine takes care of this?

Thanks again.

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:01 pm

Yes, that is the way that I do it... There are other ways to do the same thing though... :D

I would delete all the partitions not just the primary windohs partition. I like creating partitions manually but this is not necessary, the install routine will do a good job if you just let it "do its thing".

The initial install routine will take about 1/2 hour (give or take). Once the install is complete, I reboot and then update the system - this will take about another 1/2 hour (give or take). If you are installing LM13 Cinnamon, I believe that you will do 2 updates - the first is short and fast... the second is the longer one...

Once the system is updated, you are ready to rock and roll...

Enjoy! :D

ETA: If you have any "sensitive data" on the disk that you want to make sure is totally gone, after the install & update, install a copy of bleachbit and wipe the slack space.

Image Image

scot^2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by scot^2 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:18 pm

Ok, great. So for step 2, I may find other existing partitions besides just the C/D windows partition. In that case, I can just delete them all.

Unless I can I can somehow increase the speed or responsiveness of Mint with a certain manual partitioning I suppose I should just let the Mint install routine do it's thing.

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:33 pm

Yes - I can't think of a reason to not remove all partitions on the disk. I feel that this makes it clear to the install routine that it's "canvas" to work with is the entire disk.

If this is your first installation of a Linux distro, I would just let the install routine handle the details of partitioning. After you have read this and other Linux forums for a few months, you may develope your own favorite partitioning scheme - if you do, you can use it on future installations. And if in a few months, you decide that you really don't like the partitioning sheme on this machine, you can back up your data, wipe it completely, and do a re-install using whatever scheme is your favorite.

I recently moved my stuff from an "old" machine to a new machine... The move was a 3 step process - 1) copy the visible folders in my home folder, 2) copy my Thunderbird profile & 3) copy my Firefox profile. The copied stuff was then moved to the new machine and put in the appropriate places... that's all it took to be up and running with all my stuff on a new machine.

Image Image

scot^2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by scot^2 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:41 pm

Sounds good. I will go through with this and post my success or results in a few days.

Thanks a lot.

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:52 pm

You're welcome. Welcome to Linux Mint and freedom!

Enjoy!

- R -

P.S.: Yes, please post results/experience... :D

Image Image

Justy38
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Justy38 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:33 am

When I do my install. When it gives me the 3 options. I always choose something else. I delete the partitions there. Make my swap file bigger (for gaming) and make a root / ext4 for linux. Goes pretty fast.

One thing I do notice when installing linux mint. A usb pen drive is a sure lot faster than a dvd disc. I used to install linux with cd's and sometimes once all done. There was one thing or another that wasn't quite working correctly. Since I started doing installs with just a plain ol usb pen drive. All those little bug issues sort of disappeared. Even with a brand new dvd drive. Same issue. I found that interesting.

scot^2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by scot^2 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:42 am

I'm not clear on how to use gparted to delete all of my partitions. Can you give me a walk-through?

I'm writing this from the Mint 13 live DVD. Screenshot of gparted attached.

If it has any bearing, the laptop is a Lenovo Y730 with Vista Home Premium 32-bit, 2GB of RAM.

Thanks again.
Attachments
gparted screenshot
gparted screenshot
gparted.png (58.91 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
Last edited by scot^2 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

scot^2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by scot^2 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:09 pm

In the partition list shown in gparted, there are three ntfs partitions and one extended partition. I can right-click each of the ntfs partitions and choose Delete. Right-clicking the extended partition gives me no such option.

Is it as simple as that? Just right-clicking and Deleting the ntfs partitions, leaving the extended partition alone, then closing gparted and clicking Install Linux Mint from the Desktop?

Remember, my goal is to wipe the existing 320GB hard drive completely and doing a new installation of Mint 13.

Thanks again.

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:25 pm

scot^2 wrote:In the partition list shown in gparted, there are three ntfs partitions and one extended partition. I can right-click each of the ntfs partitions and choose Delete. Right-clicking the extended partition gives me no such option. >>> You can not remove an extended partition until it is empty! Once you remove SDA5 (NTFS), the extended partition will be empty and you can delete it. Then remove the other NTFS partitions as well. At this point your disk will have 100% of its space listed as "unallocated". NOTE: after you delete all the partitions you must "Apply" the changes for them to actually be written to the disk. Once you have applied the changes, there is no (easy/safe) going back so be sure...

Is it as simple as that? Just right-clicking and Deleting the ntfs partitions, leaving the extended partition alone, then closing gparted and clicking Install Linux Mint from the Desktop?

Remember, my goal is to wipe the existing 320GB hard drive completely and doing a new installation of Mint 13.

Thanks again.
That'll do it! :D

Image Image

melbo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by melbo » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:31 pm

Once you delete the 2 partitions under the extended partition, you should be able to delete it as well.
After you delete everything selected by clicking apply, you will (I'm pretty sure) need to create a new partition on the new partitionless drive before installing Mint 13.

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:19 am

melbo wrote:Once you delete the 2 partitions under the extended partition, you should be able to delete it as well.
After you delete everything selected by clicking apply, you will (I'm pretty sure) need to create a new partition on the new partitionless drive before installing Mint 13.
No, there is no need to manually create any partitions using Gparted. The install routine will take care of all partitioning automatically although you can create partitions manually if you like - if you have particulare needs, wants, or desires in a partitionins scheme... I believe the OP has decided to let the install routine do the partitioning as this is his first linux installation. :D

Image Image

scot^2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by scot^2 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:38 pm

Great, here's the news. I first deleted the NTFS partition listed under Extended. I then deleted the Extended partition. I then deleted the remaining NTFS partitions. No problems whatsoever. It was a matter of seconds. So there were no partitions left on the Gparted ribbon - it was all unallocated space, I think about 299 GB. I thought my drive was a 320 GB and that there was only one. I let it go since again Gparted didn't show any other partitions or available drives.

I then clicked Install Linux Mint from the Desktop. It gave me an option to erase the entire hard disk and go through with an automatic installation on the entire drive, or to create space on the drive manually and then select where to install Mint. (I forget the exact wording.) I chose the former, the automatic mode, to have it installed over the entire hard drive.

At the start of the automatic installation, Mint informed me that it would delete 1 partition and then installing on a 320 GB hard drive. I clicked Continue. I thought that was strange because Gparted didn't see this partition, but I assumed Mint was right because, as I said, I did think that my drive was a 320 GB.

It went very smoothly. This version of Mint and Cinnamon is beautiful. Clean and transparent.

After the installation, I opened Gparted (I installed it from the Software Center since it was only included on the live DVD). It shows two partitions, an ext4 and extended (containing linux-swap), totalling in size to 298.09 GB. Wierd. Where's the extra 20 GB?

Be that as it may, I'm extremely happy.

Attached is the post-installation Gparted screen.

Also, this was an older brand new computer, like new old stock. There was nothing at all of mine on it. I used Macrium Reflect Free, nevertheless, to take an image of the entire hard drive before deleting the partitions with Gparted in case of any Mint problems. It also gives me a Vista re-installation option which isn't very important at this point. That image was only about 20+ GB and it's saved to an external drive.
Attachments
Gparted showing the partitions automatically created after installing mint with cinnamon.
Gparted showing the partitions automatically created after installing mint with cinnamon.
gparted_after_linux_auto_installation.png (57.32 KiB) Viewed 1336 times

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:10 pm

Nicely done! :D Welcome to Linux Mint - enjoy the ride! :D

Image Image

scot^2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by scot^2 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:45 am

Reorx, thanks for the help.

Return to “Installation & Boot”