[SOLVED] Is there no UEFI-bootable install DVD?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
dhave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dhave »

I'm wanting to give Mint a spin. I have a UEFI-only system, so I need to boot the installation DVD via UEFI.

Is there not a UEFI-bootable installation DVD or CD for Mint? This is by far the easiest way to do a UEFI installation.

Thanks.
Last edited by dhave on Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

animaguy
Level 4
Level 4

Is there no UEFI-bootable install DVD?

Post by animaguy »

Do you want a dual boot ot a dedicated Linux Mint install?

xclusive585
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Is there no UEFI-bootable install DVD?

Post by xclusive585 »

Try to make a Live USB stick?
-Dave

“The only way to fix Linux is to take one distro, one set of components as a baseline, abandon everything else and everyone should just contribute to this single Linux..."

dhave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dhave »

animaguy wrote:Do you want a dual boot ot a dedicated Linux Mint install?
Dedicated. I work in a Windows-free zone.

dhave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dhave »

xclusive585 wrote:Try to make a Live USB stick?
I gave this a shot but failed. for some reason. I don't know why, but booting UEFI from a USB stick has not worked for me (my BIOS settings are all correct, I believe).

I already have been working with Arch Linux booting correctly via UEFI, so my efi bootloader is already set up. It recognizes that there's a USB stick in place, but it won't boot it. It simply returns to the efi bootloader menu.

dhave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dhave »

dhave wrote:
xclusive585 wrote:Try to make a Live USB stick?
I gave this a shot but failed. for some reason. I don't know why, but booting UEFI from a USB stick has not worked for me (my BIOS settings are all correct, I believe).

I already have been working with Arch Linux booting correctly via UEFI, so my efi bootloader is already set up. It recognizes that there's a USB stick in place, but it won't boot it. It simply returns to the efi bootloader menu.
Well, I finally went to a Windows machine and used Unetbootin to make a bootable USB stick with the Linux Mint 64-bit Cinnamon iso on it.

My efi bootmanager recognized the stick (woot!), but now the video mode is scrambled or something. So my problem is different.

I'll do some forum searches and, if need be, start a new thread along these lines.

I'll hold off on marking this thread solved for now, in case I need to come back here.

Thanks!

linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Why not just disable Secure Boot in the BIOS?
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

dhave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dhave »

linuxviolin wrote:Why not just disable Secure Boot in the BIOS?
Is that the only thing preventing me from booting a Linux Mint install DVD via UEFI? I'm up and running now with Mint thanks to a USB-based installation, but I think I'll test my DVD with secure booting turned off in the BIOS (assuming I can find that option).

Thanks.

dhave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dhave »

I'm close to marking this thread "SOLVED", as I finally managed to get a USB installation stick to boot via UEFI. I had then run into a display problem, so I had to go into the BIOS settings and disable discrete video in favor of integrated video. After I get Mint all set up, I'll install the Nvidia drivers I need to run my discrete graphics.

FWIW, I'm running a Thinkpad T420 with Nvidia graphics.

Thanks for everyone's help.

animaguy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by animaguy »

dhave,

before you mark it solved, PLEASE share with us how you did it.

The UEFI issue is a concern to many and anytime someone asks this we should all reference this thread so we all know the work around.

Thanks

dhave
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Is there no UEFI-bootable install DVD?

Post by dhave »

animaguy wrote:dhave,

The UEFI issue is a concern to many and anytime someone asks this we should all reference this thread so we all know the work around.

Thanks
You're right. I'll update this thread Thursday.

dhave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dhave »

dhave wrote:
animaguy wrote:dhave,

Thanks
You're right. I'll update this thread Thursday.
Welp, I decided to go ahead and do this now while my memory was a little fresher. Here's how things transpired.

PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS:

-My machine is a Thinkpad T420 notebook with two hard drives (one in the primary hard drive slot, the other in the Ultrabay).

-I run a UEFI-only system (selected in BIOS settings).

-Arch Linux was previously installed on primary hard drive, boots via UEFI.

-System's efi bootloader already has several boot options, and I've got some experience manipulating this menu using efibootmgr.

-BIOS is set to boot via either USB, a hard drive, or an optical drive (not connected at present).

-LM13 is to be installed on second hard drive.

-I want to have the option of booting either LM13 or Arch Linux. Windows is not on my machine at all, so this is not a "dual boot" installation in the normal sense of having two different OSes.

WHAT I DID:

1. Downloaded iso LM13 Cinnamon, 64bit.

2. Reformatted a spare 4Gb USB stick (Kingston Data Traveler) to FAT32. I actually did this on an old Windows machine, though I could have done it under Arch Linux.

3. Downloaded and installed Unetbootin utility. Because I had just formatted the USB stick on my Windows machine, I used the Windows version of Unetbootin. A version also exists for Linux.

4. Used Unetbootin to make the 4Gb USB stick bootable and transfer the LM13 iso's contents to it.

5. Plugged USB stick into my Linux machine.

6. Booted, choosing the "Kingston Data Traveler blah blah" option that magically appeared along with my existing boot options. (The efi bootloader scanned my drives and automatically made a boot option for it. I guess.)

OOPS! While LM13 seemed to boot fine, the screen was all garbled. I rebooted and went into the BIOS settings, where I changed my graphics card selection from "Discrete Graphics" to "Integrated Graphics". (My machine has a separate NVidia graphics card as well as an Intel graphics chip integrated into the motherboard.)

7. When I rebooted, LM13 showed up as it should. After the Live system was up and running, I hit the icon to install LM13 onto my secondary hard drive.

The installation went without a hitch.

8. After rebooting into my new LM13 installation, I updated the system, then selected and installed the proprietary Nvidia video drivers for my graphics card.

9. Then I rebooted, going back into my BIOS settings to change my graphics system from integrated back to discrete.

LM13 booted fine, the Nvidia splash screen appeared, and my system is humming along just fine.

I think that's about it.

linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

dhave wrote:OOPS! While LM13 seemed to boot fine, the screen was all garbled. I rebooted and went into the BIOS settings, where I changed my graphics card selection from "Discrete Graphics" to "Integrated Graphics". (My machine has a separate NVidia graphics card as well as an Intel graphics chip integrated into the motherboard.)
Hmm, Optimus technology?

Well, in fact, UEFI or not your install is almost like a traditional one. Good. :)

Just a question, I'm curious, sorry. :mrgreen: You have kept the Arch bootloader and installed the Mint one on the / partition then you have added Mint to the Arch bootloader or you have installed the Mint bootloader in tbe MBR in place of the Arch one?
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

dhave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dhave »

linuxviolin wrote: Hmm, Optimus technology?
Yes, that's right.
linuxviolin wrote: Well, in fact, UEFI or not your install is almost like a traditional one. Good. :)

Just a question, I'm curious, sorry. :mrgreen: You have kept the Arch bootloader and installed the Mint one on the / partition then you have added Mint to the Arch bootloader or you have installed the Mint bootloader in tbe MBR in place of the Arch one?
The efi boot manager is in my machine's ROM, isn't it? So, if I understand correctly, an MBR is not in play here at all. (Note that my drives are formatted gpt.) My primary hard drive, on which Arch is installed, has a dedicated /efi/boot partition of 200Mb (formatted FAT32) on which the linux kernel resides; I just had to add an .efi suffix to the kernel file. As you know, recent kernel releases have a built-in EFI stub loader. The machine's efi boot manager finds the kernel by virtue of its efi suffix, and voilà! At least I think this is what happens.

Mint installed itself similarly, but, rather than installing the Linux kernel in the dedicated /efi/boot partition, it installed a grubx64.efi file that essentially launches the whole grub2 booting apparatus that resides on the Mint's main /boot partition. At least I think this is what happens. Have I said that once already?

I think I might install the Mint kernel in my secondary drive's /efi/boot partition, give it an .efi suffix, and see if my machine's efi bootloader will pick it up. This should work, I believe. I'd like to dump grub altogether, which is possible with the new efi capabilities of the latest kernels. I think you need to have kernel 3.3+ to go this route; I installed 3.5.3 in Mint earlier today.

But I don't want to pretend that I know more about this than I do. I've been following this stuff for a number of months, reading on the Arch forums and wiki and a bit on the Gentoo sites, but, while I've managed to do a few uefi-only installations, I still have a pretty tenuous grasp of the technology. And there may be serious errors in my not-very-technical explanation of what I think happens, though I hope not.

Bon courage!

Ozman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ozman »

Many thanks for posting your solution. I will receive a Lenovo S430 in few days and I was wondering how I was going to get LM13 on to it. :roll:

Now it should be a piece of cake! :D

dhave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dhave »

Ozman wrote:Many thanks for posting your solution. I will receive a Lenovo S430 in few days and I was wondering how I was going to get LM13 on to it. :roll:

Now it should be a piece of cake! :D
I hope you have good success, and that the cake is to your liking. Don't be too surprised, though, if you have to scrap everything and start over again at some point.

Return to “Installation & Boot”