Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Socrates
Level 1
Level 1

can't install from DVD

Post by Socrates »

I am not sure what all you might need, so I will just get started with what I have. I downloaded -twice- the Mate 64-bit ISO and burned it to DVD with verification of the image. I booted into my laptop with it in the DVD player. It took me to the initial screen and everything looked pretty good at that point. I saw the little icons (Computer, Install, etc.) like those on the website illustrated. However, it did not seem to accept any input from my mousepad when I clicked things, although the icons did appear to light up when I moused over them. The regular keyboard also failed to register with the OS, and only a few of the F keys were functional. F1 fired up the browser and connected me to Internet. Ctrl+Alt+Del worked too, but that is not doing me much good. :( Nothing else would happen when I fiddled with it.

I have a fairly new laptop with plenty of RAM, so that should not have caused any issues that I can see. I want to install the OS onto a disk, but it wont accept my input. Any ideas?

animaguy
Level 4
Level 4

can't install from DVD

Post by animaguy »

First, do you have access to another computer connected to the internet that can download isos and burn them onto CDs or DVDs or a usb flash drive?

Second, on the laptop that you want to install Linux, does it already have an OS installed on the internal harddrive?

Third, if so what OS is installed and does the mouse work on that OS as well as the keyboard?

Have you tried opening the menu icon in the panel?

Do you have more 4gb DVDs that you can download other distros for testing?

And are you familiar with going onto the BIOS?
Last edited by animaguy on Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sagirfahmid3
Level 6
Level 6

Re: can't install from DVD

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Did you try booting into compatibility mode?

Socrates
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Socrates »

sagirfahmid3 wrote:Did you try booting into compatibility mode?

yes, but the same happens. thanks.

Socrates
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Socrates »

> First, do you have access to another computer connected to the internet that can download isos and burn them onto CDs or DVDs or a usb flash drive?

Well, do you mean simultaneously? The computer I am working with and referencing in my dialogue will certainly do so to all of the above, yes. I also have an older machine that connects to internet, burns ISO's to CD or DVD.

> Second, on the laptop that you want to install Linux, does it already have an OS installed on the internal harddrive?

The laptop that I want to use to install Linux Mint onto a USB drive, which I had attached to it for doing so, has 64-bit Win7 only. I am not going to install anything else on the laptop itself, but I intend to use it to boot into DVD of Linux Mint and to install the Mint OS, along with Grub, onto an external USB drive.

> Third, if so what OS is installed and does the mouse work on that OS as well as the keyboard?

Everything is working on it perfectly, yes. 64-bit Win7.

> Have you tried opening the menu icon in the panel?

Yes, I tried, but my keyboard and mouse are inoperative at the Mint desktop.

> Do you have more 4gb DVDs that you can download other distros for testing?

Surely, and flash drives too.

> And are you familiar with going onto the BIOS?

Yes, I have done so in order to make the boot sequence start with CD/DVD. Thanks.

sagirfahmid3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

animaguy
Level 4
Level 4

can't install from DVD

Post by animaguy »

Tell us what happens. There are other options depending on what happens.

Socrates
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Socrates »

animaguy wrote:Tell us what happens. There are other options depending on what happens.
I got it working now. Before delving too much into another lengthy procedure for troubleshooting, I wanted to try a couple of quick and easy targets that had given me problems in previous cases. First I changed the ISO image boot media from DVD to a flash drive. I booted the laptop with the program installed there, and it brought me to the same point but with no change. Secondly, while at the Mint desktop still, I then plugged in a manual mouse with one of the USB ports, and presto! It responded as it was supposed to do. Also, though I don't understand technically why this happened too, once the manual mouse was working, the keyboard started working along with it. That's all I needed to get the ISO program to install Mint onto the attached USB drive. It is a fast drive, an SSD, and it responds well.

I loaded Grub and Mint on the USB after putting some partitions on it. Afterwards, I rebooted the system to make sure that my original internal disk with Win7 had not been affected, and it was all good. Then I attached the USB device, restarted the machine and selected that device for booting with the BIOS. It booted and the Grub menu came up, from which I selected Mint. Everything had installed correctly from what I can see. I upgraded the OS to make it current.

I eventually went in the Control Center > Mouse Preferences > Touchpad, to take a look at what was happening there. I spotted the problem right away. I don't know if this is normal, but the option "Enable mouse clicks with touchpad" was unselected by default. That's not good. I selected it and tested the touchpad, which now began working properly. I removed the manual mouse from the USB port (good thing my machine has several of them!). Then I saved the settings and rebooted the system. Everything was working properly now.

Now the hard part starts. I have to start setting it all up the way I need it. If that option for enabling mouse clicks is not defaulted normally, I really think it should be, absolutely. Thanks for the help.

P.S. I do like the looks and feel of Maya. It is not too bloated. I really prefer the systems that are minimalist and Spartan. This one is providing me a good comfort level in that respect.

Socrates
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Socrates »

sagirfahmid3 wrote:Follow this advice first: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubuntu ... rking.html
If that doesn't help, try this: http://e-mats.org/2009/05/keyboard-not- ... ng-ubuntu/
I want to thank you for providing the links to those troubleshooting procedures. That is always good to have around. In another post I just made, I have explained how I was able to get it working properly. Thanks, again. Take care. :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”