RESOLVED: Nvidia Card install issues LinuxMint 13 KDE 64BIT

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exup

RESOLVED: Nvidia Card install issues LinuxMint 13 KDE 64BIT

Post by exup »

Hi

I have been trying to install Linux Mint for a couple of weeks now.
The live CD works fine in compatability mode. If I dont select compatability then I get a white screen and no progress from there.
After installing in compatability mode and rebooting I dont even see the grub menu, I just get a garbled screen of pixels.

I have bypassed the video card (Nvidia GTX550 Ti) in the BIOS and using the gigabyte onboard graphics. (See signature for specs of the machine)
I then see grub menu and if I then click the default linux mint I am getting nouveau unkown port errors.

I have seen a few entries for this issue the first mention to uninstall the Ubiquity slide show mint at installl unders software manager. But when I check this is not installed anyway? Second troubleshooting points to updating the grub menu. But my Linux skills are not to good and I cannot seem to complete this. This what I have done.

using the live CD to get back into Linux mint.

mount the drive first
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

following tips about editing files from live CD I ran this

mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev

Edit the /mnt/etc/default/gurb file and change the following

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" to be ="quiet splash nouveau.noaccel=1 nomodeset"

I save the file ok
then run update-grub but see the error /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find device for / (is/dev mounted)

I suspect the way I have mounted the drive is wrong?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exup

Re: Nvidia Card install issues LinuxMint 13 KDE 64BIT

Post by exup »

Hi

I found a few sites that mentioned the /dev not mounted issue. But they simply said "I used the CHROOT method" but I did not know what this was. Finally found out what the extra steps are. The steps are copied from this site minus the re-install of Grub parts. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 ... via_ChRoot

So starting from the begining and booting off the live CD

Determine your normal system partition. The following commands may be helpful. The fdisk switch is a lowercase "L".

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l
   sudo blkid
   df -Th
Mount your normal system partition. X is the drive letter. Y is the partition number:
Substitute the correct partition: sda1, sdb5, etc.

sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt1.
Example 1: sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
Example 2: sudo mount /dev/md1 /mnt

Only if you have a separate boot partition (where sdYY is the /boot partition designation) or skip this which is what I did

sudo mount /dev/sdYY /mnt/boot1
Example 1: sudo mount /dev/sdb6 /mnt/boot
Example 2: sudo mount /dev/md0 /mnt/boot

Edit your /etc/default/grub file to have the nomodeset as shown earlier in this post. Try that first and if that does not work add the extra nouveau.noaccel=1 then save it.

Mount the critical virtual filesystems. Run the following as a single command:

for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys /run; do sudo    mount -B $i /mnt$i; done
Chroot into your normal system device:

sudo chroot /mnt
   update-grub
   reboot
and it works on reboot!

Return to “Installation & Boot”