Install LM13 AMD 64 Mate as upgrade to Cinnamon?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
johnb0647
Level 1
Level 1

Install LM13 AMD 64 Mate as upgrade to Cinnamon?

Post by johnb0647 »

I originally installed LM13 AMD 64 Cinnamon. Although I love Cinnamon, display problems forced me to change to MATE. Immediately after the change, the next update broke two packages related to opengl ( libgl1-mesa-glx and nux-tools ). As updates continue, the list of damaged packages gets bigger.

See previously posted but unanswered post http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 06#p632706
for more details if needed.

Question: Can I install LM13 AMD 64 MATE as an upgrade to LM13 AMD 64 CINNAMON and have a chance of resolving my problems without having to do a clean install and losing all my installed apps and configurations?

NOTE: /home is a separate partition

TIA

este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Install LM13 AMD 64 Mate as upgrade to Cinnamon?

Post by este.el.paz »

johnb0647 wrote:I originally installed LM13 AMD 64 Cinnamon. Although I love Cinnamon, display problems forced me to change to MATE. Immediately after the change, the next update broke two packages related to opengl ( libgl1-mesa-glx and nux-tools ). As updates continue, the list of damaged packages gets bigger.

See previously posted but unanswered post http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 06#p632706
for more details if needed.

Question: Can I install LM13 AMD 64 MATE as an upgrade to LM13 AMD 64 CINNAMON and have a chance of resolving my problems without having to do a clean install and losing all my installed apps and configurations?

NOTE: /home is a separate partition

TIA
@johnb0647: I'm back on the forum due to an upgrade in LMDE breaking the system some how so that I couldn't boot up in the system, tried to install LM13 MATE today found the same result . . . looked at your other post, the question is whether these "broken packages" are actually making your system not use-able . . . sometimes with the upgrades there are error reports on packages, but if generally the system works you could try to run "sudo apt-get autoremove" and the problem packages would be removed. But, to answer your question, you should be able to install the MATE DE, since you already have LM13 iinstalled, and then in the log in window you would have the choice of logging into MATE or Cinnamon . . . the basic system will remain the same. This seems to be very common in the Linux world of using different DE's in the same computer; you could use Synaptic to install MATE or you could use the Terminal and probably the code would be "sudo apt-get update" and then "sudo apt-get install mate" . . . and if all goes well the Terminal will show all the dependencies that it will install and it will ask, "Do you want to proceed Y/n? If you want to proceed select "Y" . . . "n" if you don't want to proceed . . . .

e.e.p.
MacBookPro5,4 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo 4GB Ram LM17.1 MATE 64-bit w/ very-humorous Floating Feets!!!

Oscar799
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Oscar799 »

johnb0647
If you don't get an answer after a reasonable period of time it is best to bump your original post rather than posting again somewhere else

Epod
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Epod »

Maybe a clean install would be the way to go especially if you have a separate /home partition all your user settings and files including user name and password will follow you to the new installation overall might just be easier to do it that way then trying to reconfigure everything.
+Linux Mint 13 Maya Cinnamon 64Bit+|Ubuntu 12.04.1 64bit| +GA-G41MT-S2PT w/ Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.00Ghz 4GiB's DDR3 1066Mhz Ram 250+160Gb HDD's+ Apple PowerPC 7400 G4 400Mhz 2GiBs SDRam AGPx2 ATI Rage 128 Pro Graphics card 40+80Gb HDD's

johnb0647
Level 1
Level 1

Post by johnb0647 »

RE: Posting in two locations.

I posted in two locations because I believed I was asking two different questions possibly requiring two different groups of experts:

Q1. What can I do within the frame work of "updates" using apt and/or synaptic to resolve an apparently circular reference that was breaking two packages.

and

Q2. Is it possible to do a complete "install with Mate" on top of an existing "install with Cinnamon" as a massive overkill solution to the same problem. Since I originally installed LM13/AMD64 WITH CINNAMON and then added MATE, would I actually be accomplishing anything. I'm aware that one can, for example, install WinXP as an upgrade install on top of an exist installation of WinXP to restore the fundimental OS to a known "factory fresh" status. I do not know if Debian/Ubuntu/LM linux works the same way.

To me, the fact that both approaches are intended to resolve the same problem is less significent and probably calls upon different expertise. I thought about it as getting advice about removing a splinter vs plastic surgery vs the (possibly) ultimate solution (clean install) of a brain transplant.

I'm aware that a clean install is an option but that would take days with no guarantee that the original problem, which might originate from a hardware display driver problem, might not be reproduced as soon as I started doing updates again. I'm hoping for a solution that will not require re-downloading and re-installing virtualbox, LibreOffice, wine, Thunderbird, qbittorrent, dropbox, UbuntuOne, samba, zim, etc. over my slow 384 Kbps internet connection.

RE: the question if the broken packages are actually making the system "not usable". At first I asked myself this question because .... at first.... there were no obvious problems but as additional "updates" have resulted in additional packages with problems function is decreasing. Video play no longer works properly in my browser, or any of my media players. Audio play no longer works either but that seems to be related to video play or generation which is used by every audio application. A few "menu" applets that are supposed to be there are not. There are now graphic disturbances in 3D functions of VBox/XP/TurboCAD which were not there earlier.

So my biggest concerns are "Will future updates render the computer completely unusable?" and "Should I disable all updates unless/until this problem is resolved?"

I really consider myself a computer "user" rather than an OS junky so the more time I have to spend dealing with this the less productive I am.

este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

So my biggest concerns are "Will future updates render the computer completely unusable?" and "Should I disable all updates unless/until this problem is resolved?"

I really consider myself a computer "user" rather than an OS junky so the more time I have to spend dealing with this the less productive I am.

johnb0647
@johnb0647:

To answer a couple of your questions: a): "will the updates render the computer unusable?" . . . updates may break some aspects of the software, but the computer would not be "made unusable" . . . it just might not work with the software . . . . Having said that, it's important to reinforce the fact that on the whole most Linux based software is FREE to those of us who consider ourselves more as a "user" . . . and so there are no guarantees that there will never be problems. Surely the long term Linux folks here who had to build everything the old fashioned way are on the whole amused by complaints about some package(s) breaking . . . and to them these latest incarnations are comparatively "perfect" . . . . Part of the pleasure of getting access to this free OS, in more or less "turnkey" condition is that indeed there are problems that do show up, sometimes requiring deep knowledge to fix, sometimes just being patient and looking around for answers. But, most importantly, after spending over a 1.5 years messing around with various Linux systems, the DIY mentality is the most respected mentality in the Linux world, so I'm saying that to suggest that rather than worrying about the future breakages, there is nothing to fear except fear itself--be not afraid. Try stuff, if it breaks, then the reinstall is only 15 minutes away. I gave you the suggestion to try to just add the DE of MATE to the Cinnamon base system install . . . and gave you two options to try that--Terminal or Synaptic . . . try it. None of us has any time to waste in this life, but we also have to "endeavor to presevere" . . . . If you don't want to try to add the DE, then perhaps a "clean install" might be a good idea, but "installing MATE on top of Cinnamon"???? It might be that installing MATE "next to" Cinnamon in another partition might give you the option of one of the two--you could do that and use the same home for both, but that is more time consuming than just adding the MATE DE (desktop environment) as it seems that many Linux users tend to do, then you just "log out" of Cinnamon and then choose MATE to "log in" and you are in MATE. Good luck.

e.e.p.
MacBookPro5,4 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo 4GB Ram LM17.1 MATE 64-bit w/ very-humorous Floating Feets!!!

Return to “Installation & Boot”