Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
libux77
Level 1
Level 1

Problem INSTALL MINT 13 on Win7 Netbook [SOLVED]

Post by libux77 »

Hi all,

I am a super-newbie and these are my first steps in linux world.

Unfortunately the approach to linux mint 13 was not successfully. This is the history:

I tryed the distribution linux mint 13 64 bit KDE by booting it via usb live. I liked it and I decided to install it permanently on my netbook asus 1225B.

On my netbook I have one only HardDisk with 4 partions:
1)Windows7 (100GB)
2)Recovery Partition (15GB)
3)EFI Partition (16MB)
4)Personal Data (183GB)

On Windows7 environment I reduced the Personal Data partition from 183 GB to 83 GB in order to free 100 GB to install linux mint 13.

I launched the installation of distribution linux mint 13 64 bit KDE. In the window of partion table I select the row of freespace and I clicked more than once on "Add" button to create the following partitions (I didn't click on "Create New Table" because I was afraid of deleting windows7):
ext4 100 MB boot mount "\boot" begin
swap 8GB (I have 4GB of RAM) begin
ext4 50GB mount point "\" begin
ext4 40GB mount point "\home" begin

Question: IS THIS WAY TO DIVIDE THE HARDISK FINE ?????

I continued the installation that ended with some alerts about GRUB installation. GRUB was not installed correctly. I tried to install GRUB by using a terminal but without success. I don't remember which was the error. Maybe something about device boot not mounted.

After installation I explored the new operating system....but when I rebooted, no one dual-boot window appeared...and Win7 started as usual :-(

I'm really frustrated :x I don't want to give up and come back to windows, please help. If It is need I can repeat the installation again if you give some advices.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by libux77 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Problem INSTALL MINT 13 on Win7 Netbook

Post by wayne128 »

Before you install Linux OS, your hard disk had already 4 partitions.

That sounds like perhaps some issues.

In order to determine if your hard disk have partition issues, what you can do is to use terminal ( hopefully you are OK to use terminal) , here are the steps

1. boot with Live DVD
2. open a terminal, type a few command below and post their results

3. sudo fdisk -l

4. sudo parted -l print

5. sudo os-prober
odo5435
Level 4
Level 4

Post by odo5435 »

G'day libux77,

I tried to instal LMDE Xfce dual booting with Win7 on our ASUS 1005PE a while back and had similar problems. I received some excellent advice on partitioning from @xenopeek in this thread. It's still working great and I'd gladly completely get rid of Windows apart from Skype; which has proven to be a real pita on this unit (sound issues!).

One point though.

I don't know what the hardware resources of your particular unit are (because you failed to tell us in your post as is suggested in point No.5 in this thread). I should point out, however, that some Linux distros are more demanding on system resources than others. KDE versions tend to be at the top of the lists of resource 'hogs' and netbooks in general are not renowned for their top-end gaming and speed capabilities. It might be wise to research into whether your hardware can capably handle what you are trying to instal.
LinuxMint 14 'Nadia' 64-bit dual boot with Win' 7
Kernel: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic (x86_64) >< Cinnamon
libux77
Level 1
Level 1

Post by libux77 »

@odo5435:
Thanks a lot. I'll try to follow your advice. Sorry to not specify my hardware resources.....here you are (I hope they are ok for KDE):
Netbook ASUS 1225B
Processor AMD E-450 (1,65 GHz)
Ram 4 GB DDR3
Disk 320 GB - SATA - 5.400 rpm
Video ATI Radeon HD 6320

@wayne:
I'll try to post the results
libux77
Level 1
Level 1

Post by libux77 »

odo5435 wrote:G'day libux77,

I tried to instal LMDE Xfce dual booting with Win7 on our ASUS 1005PE a while back and had similar problems. I received some excellent advice on partitioning from @xenopeek in this thread. It's still working great and I'd gladly completely get rid of Windows apart from Skype; which has proven to be a real pita on this unit (sound issues!).

One point though.

I don't know what the hardware resources of your particular unit are (because you failed to tell us in your post as is suggested in point No.5 in this thread). I should point out, however, that some Linux distros are more demanding on system resources than others. KDE versions tend to be at the top of the lists of resource 'hogs' and netbooks in general are not renowned for their top-end gaming and speed capabilities. It might be wise to research into whether your hardware can capably handle what you are trying to instal.
I succeeded in installation of linux mint 13 KDE on ASUS netbook 1225B. I followed your advice and everything went well. Now I have other issues to manage....for instance I would like to view some folders in the first virtual desktop and other folders (different) in the second virtual folders......I don't want to insert password at log in....I have to investigate what is KDE daemon ...etc...I'll find surely them in the forum.

Anyway thanks a lot!!!

Thanks a lot!
odo5435
Level 4
Level 4

Post by odo5435 »

Welcome to Linux Mint! You won't regret your decision providing you remain open minded and prepared to do a minor amount of research. You'll find that searching this site will provide answers to most of your questions.

I'm glad you got your machine up and running but all the credit for your solution really belongs to @xenopeek. He is extremely knowledgeable and you can trust his advice (which, I suppose, is why he's an administrator of this site).

I don't use KDE so am unable to assist you further but if you have any new stumbling blocks it would be better to bring them up in new, separate topics.

If your original problem is solved it'd be appreciated if you would please "Edit" your first post and add "[SOLVED]" at the end of your topic. This not only helps others with the same problem to find a solution more quickly but it also saves time for people offering solutions by not having to read through problems that are already solved.
LinuxMint 14 'Nadia' 64-bit dual boot with Win' 7
Kernel: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic (x86_64) >< Cinnamon

Return to “Installation & Boot”