Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
GarryRicketson
Level 2
Level 2

Did not know accepting,UPDATES is dangerous

Post by GarryRicketson »

I have had Linux Mint 10, on my computer (laptop) for over 6 months. Everything was fine, until yesterday, I unwittingly allowed the updates to download and install, Now it won't boot, the updates are some kind of malware, I guess, I don't know, I just wish I had not updated, it seems like there should be some kind of warning, that they might wreck your system.
I know more details are needed, to help me fix this, hopefully wit out losing anything, to restore it back to the way it was, if this is not the right topic/thread, please point me to where I should post the details, and can get some help. I am using the live CD right now to boot, It appears that the HD file system is all there, but when booting, it says the kernal is not right ,and some other stuff,
How did the kernal get changed ?, I never did that, the updates did it, and never warned , or asked me ,...So this post is also to warn other unspecting newbies, if evrything is working, don't download any updates, until or if you know you really need it, and check to see if it is really a good thing. Ok well now I learned, and hope fully I can restore it, any help on this will be greatly appreciated,
from Garry
IMPORTANT
Edited: I think I should add to this, it may not have been that the updates are bad, but the fact that I had waited so long (6 months), and there were so many updates, plus, it is a distro that is outdated,no longer supported,..all this made it dangerous,
I still think I should have just left things alone,
the updates are some kind of malware,
This statement,by me
is not true, I shouldn't have said this (my apology), they (the updates) are not malware, but if not done with caution, and regularly, instead of a huge "block" all at once, like I did, could cause a effect that appears to be like malware. So I apologize for getting offensive,..it said "panic" and I did,!
Last edited by GarryRicketson on Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From Garry
My Web Site

Using: LINUX MINT 13
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Did not know accepting,UPDATES is dangerous

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint by default doesn't install updates that could be dangerous to your system's stability. New kernels and graphics card drivers, for example, are by default not installed as these can introduce new bugs or hardware incompatibilities.

As to your problem, this is a bit vexing but your version of Linux Mint is obsolete and unsupported since April this year. Suggest you upgrade to Linux Mint 13, which is supported till April 2017.
GarryRicketson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GarryRicketson »

Suggest you upgrade to Linux Mint 13
The problem with that, is it would overwrite every thing I had, it may not run as well as Mint 10 did,
I have Mint 10, it worked fine until I permitted the updates, I still have the live CD, for mint 10, and if I can not repair the damge that the updates did, I will re-install Mint 10,...if I had a other computer to experiment with, and check Mint 13, first, then perhaps I would. So if I did install mint 13, it will only be supported until 2017 ?, then I would be forced to change OS, again, ? assuming I liked it,..Why would I want to do that if is working good ?
Linux Mint is obsolete and unsupported since April this year.
This is confusing, if it is obsolete, and un-supported, why did they offer updates, ?, if there had been some kind of warning, like "Warning, these updates are not supported,and may harm your system",...then I would not have allowed them to down load,...Oh well, lesson learned.
Anyway thank you for your suggestion, I guess wat you are trying to say, is I can not get any help here ? Because Mint 10 is no longer supported ? Is there a thread or area in the forum, that I might find someone willing to help , ?, I have all the detaiils written down, my hopes were maybe there is some way to correct the problem, it says Kernal Panic,not syncing, unable to mount root fs on unknown block (0,0),...then tere is more but if this is not the roght place, I don't want to waste your time and mine, typing out a long post of detail,..
thank you again.
from Garry
From Garry
My Web Site

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Garry.

Though Vincent is right, upgrading to a current Linux Mint release will be a wise thing to do, let us postpone this approach for the moment.
Instead let us find out what went wrong and let us try to get your current Mint 10 up and running again.

Start booting your machine normally, not using the live system. As soon as the error message about the incorrect kernel is displayed, write down the exact error message on a piece of paper. Post the exact error message here, please.
Once you have written down the error message, press <ctrl><alt><del>. This should make your machine reboot again. This time hold down the <shift> key till you see the Grub boot menu.

It should look similar to mine, similar, not the same, because I'm running Lisa (Mint 12) at the moment:

Code: Select all

Linux Mint 12 32-bit, 3.0.0-26-generic (/dev/sda6)
Linux Mint 12 32-bit, 3.0.0-26-generic (/dev/sda6) -- recovery mode
Linux Mint 12 32-bit, 3.0.0-25-generic (/dev/sda6)
Linux Mint 12 32-bit, 3.0.0-25-generic (/dev/sda6) -- recovery mode
Linux Mint 12 32-bit, 3.0.0-24-generic (/dev/sda6)
Linux Mint 12 32-bit, 3.0.0-24-generic (/dev/sda6) -- recovery mode
Memory test (memtest86+)
Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)
[...more entries omited...]
The first entry will be the default entry which will be booted if you do not select another entry. In your case this entry will try to launch Mint 10 using the seemingly faulty kernel.
So use the cursor down key. Go down 2 lines. This will select the previous Linux kernel which used to boot fine in your case.
Press enter to confirm you choice.
Hopefully Mint 10 will come up fine loading the previous kernel.

If this is true, i.e. if Mint 10, comes up fine, launch a terminal session.
In side the terminal enter the command

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
This should load the file /etc/default/grub into the editor gedit with root privileges.
In case gedit cannot be found on your system use the commandline

sudo vi /etc/default/grub
instead. The editor vi will always be present. But using vi may be a bit tricky if you are not used to it.
Inside the file /etc/default/grub locate the line reading

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
Change it to read

GRUB_DEFAULT=2
This change means, make the 3rd menu entry the default boot option, i.e. the previous kernel. (Counting starts at 0, not at 1.)
Save the file /etc/default/grub.
Next run the commandline

sudo update-grub
This will make Grub update its configuration. From next reboot on the default startup option will be the previous kernel.

If everything works as explained so far, please, post the kernel error message here which you have written down in the beginning.
Run the following commandline

cat /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*
and post the complete screen output here as well.This will allow us to check which repositories your Mint 10 queries for updates. Querying inappropriate repositories might lead to trouble.

Kind regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
GarryRicketson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GarryRicketson »

Thank you Karl,
:D This is what I needed at the moment.. I have written down the instructions and code you show, (don't have a printer)
This line in the error message:

[2.618538.7 ] Kernel panic-not syncing:UFS:unable to mount root fs on unknown block (0,0)   
Is followed by some other lines, that appear to be ok, (but if after following your instructions,it still dose not work) I will write down also, 6 or 7 lines, at this point it "hangs", and goes no further, <ctrl><alt><del> dose not do anything, it is locked up at that point.
I did try some edit to grub, suggested by another person, and when I selected <ctrl><x> to boot, it booted fine,! so I am confident,it can be fixed,..I was hoping it would have saved, and been solved,..I wish I had seen your instructions earlier, because now I see how I could have saved it. Any way when I re booted it was back to the same, error, and when I tried the edition I had used before, this time it did not work.
One last comment, I am having trouble with, when I have booted with the live CD, I can not get full access, to the files on the computer,(HD), or the portableUSB HD, IE: I can read and view them, but I was going to try to copy, every thing that I want to save, from the HD, to the portable HD, when I copy, it still won't let me "paste", into any folder or start a new folder,..if I could do this, once I had everything copied, I would consider installing mint 13, or re-install mint 10, I also do have a 12 gb area unalocated (free), that I could install too,..but again I would rather fix this first, I was not prepared,nor had plans to
install any new OS, so it caught me at a bad time.
Once I get it running, I will be sure to get this
If everything works as explained so far, please, post the kernel error message here which you have written down in the beginning.
Run the following commandline
and post the complete screen output here as well.This will allow us to check which repositories your Mint 10 queries for updates. Querying inappropriate repositories might lead to trouble.
I am sure it may be a benifit to others, ok well again thank you very much, and I will get back asp, on how this goes.
from Garry
From Garry
My Web Site

GarryRicketson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GarryRicketson »

I did mange to get it to boot again, but have not yet run update-grub,
here is the list I got, of the updates.

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ julia main upstream import
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ maverick partner
deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ maverick free non-free

#deb http://archive.removed/ubuntu maverick-removed apps
#deb http://archive.removed/ubuntu maverick-removed games
deb file:///usr/share/local-repository binary/
Note also: What I did to get it to boot, was enter this line by line, in the grub command prompt.

insmod ext2
set root =(hd0,msdos1) ((note: on this line I kept getting a "not assigned", so I ended up leaving it out.))
linux /vmlinuz ro root=/dev/sda1
initrd /initrd.img
boot  
It booted, a little reluctantly, but did boot, now I am hoping if I just update-grub, it may work ok now, but for a while I am not going to shutdown, until I am more sure I have it corrected, so I will check back, also here before I shutdown, to see if there is anything else I should do.
Thank you again, very much
from Garry
Aditional note:
Linux Mint 12 32-bit, 3.0.0-26-generic (/dev/sda6)
Linux Mint 12 32-bit, 3.0.0-26-generic (/dev/sda6) -- recovery mode
Linux Mint 12 32-bit, 3.0.0-25-generic (/dev/sda6)
Linux Mint 12 32-bit, 3.0.0-25-generic (/dev/sda6) -- recovery mode
Linux Mint 12 32-bit, 3.0.0-24-generic (/dev/sda6)
Linux Mint 12 32-bit, 3.0.0-24-generic (/dev/sda6) -- recovery mode
Memory test (memtest86+)
Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)
[...more entries omited...]

The first entry will be the default entry which will be booted if you do not select another entry. In your case this entry will try to launch Mint 10 using the seemingly faulty kernel.
This is similar to the way mine was, before I had run the updates, however now, there is only the 1 default line,and the recover mode,followed the same, by memory test, both,..and then my dos partition, I do not have ,nor use windows anywhere.Below is what I get when I ran

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
# This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
# the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
#GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"  
So I am not sure,if I need to make any changes , since there is no other options besides the default showing in the boot menu.
thanks from Garry
From Garry
My Web Site

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Garry.

Let me go through your questions bottom up, from the last one to first one.

About the file /etc/default/grub:
So I am not sure,if I need to make any changes
No, no need to change it at the moment. - The idea to change GRUB_DEFAULT=0 to GRUB_DEFAULT=2 was that the third entry in your Grub menu pointed to the previous kernel which booted fine in the past. As you pointed out what works here does not work for you. So there is no point in applying this change.
I.e. currently there is no reason to edit /etc/default/grub and therefore no reason to instruct Grub to rebuild its configuration by executing

sudo update-grub
Yet, executing

sudo update-grub
should not have any negative side effects at all. It can be executed as often as you like. As long as the Grub configuration file /etc/default/grub has not been changed the resulting Grub configuration should always be the same.

Software repositories /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*

I have just booted a Julia live system and compared the list with yours. They are identical. So the given locations where your Mint Julia will look for software updates is perfectly all right.
As Vincent rightly pointed out Julia has exceeded its 18 months of support. Therefore I had suspected that the listed repositories might be no longer available. Yet, at the time of writing this, they still are. I instructed both Synaptic Package Manager and Mint Update Manager to reload package information, i.e. to check for available software updates. They both returned a list of 390 software packages. (Keep in mind that the live system is dated Oct-2010.)
Conclusion:
The repositories seem to be still available. Only thing is: no updates will have been added since May 2012.

This raises the question why were you offered new updates only recently including a new kernel? - I suspect the answer may be: because you have used Julia for the past 6 months without ever installing any updates at all. :wink:

Anyway, accepting and installing the available Julia updates should not have had any negative side effect, in particular not make your system unbootable. - Ever since Ubuntu Karmic Koala (2 versions or 12 months older than Mint Julia and definitely no longer supported) I have always accepted and installed all the software updates which Synaptic offered me, including kernel updates, and have never had to suffer from an unbootable system.

This brings us back to the initial and most important questions:
What has gone wrong during the update installation?
Why do you receive the error message
[2.618538.7 ] Kernel panic-not syncing:UFS:unable to mount root fs on unknown block (0,0)
when allowing Grub to simply use the default boot option, which simply is "startup the most recent Linux kernel".

Let us start with the question "What has gone wrong during the update installation? ":

Could you, please, navigate to the folder /var/log.
There are at least two logfiles which are relevant in this case: dpkg.log and mintupdate.log. They might hold error messages, having the timestamp of the update installation, which give hints what may have failed.
Of course, the file syslog may hold important error messages as well.
Could you please inspect the files dpkg.log and mintupdate.log for error messages.

In the meantime, I will check what the default commands in the file /boot/grub/grub.cfg should look like which will be executed when the default boot menu entry is executed ...

Kind regards,
Karl
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Garry.

Searching with the help of Google for the error message that you receive when booting your machine from the harddisk
Kernel panic-not syncing:UFS:unable to mount root fs on unknown block (0,0)
yields a long list of hits.
One simple thing worth trying is to instruct Grub to rebuild its configuration by executing

sudo update-grub
even though you have not changed the file /etc/default/grub. Whether running

sudo update-grub
will have the desired effect of mysteriously solving the kernel panic at boot time, well, only rebooting will tell.

Also make sure that none of the filesystems have been filled by 100%. If this is the case, then depending on which filesystem it is, / or /boot e.g., this may have all kinds of weird side effects. Command to verify

df -k
Kind regards,
Karl
GarryRicketson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GarryRicketson »

This raises the question why were you offered new updates only recently including a new kernel? - I suspect the answer may be: because you have used Julia for the past 6 months without ever installing any updates at all. :wink:
Yes this is correct,
I have also looked at the log file you mention, it is huge,..all though I did not see anything showing errors,there is a lot that are saying, "half installed", or in other words, many did not completely install.
Yes this is correct about 390,..
I have managed to get everything that was important to me copied over to my portable usb HD, in the process, I am finding that
things are pretty messed up,my thoughts are changing on maybe it would be better, to just go ahead and install mint 13, (I would need to download it first, or re-install Mint10, but being out of date,maybe that is not the best choice.
The computer is a ACER one aspire series, (netbook), Mint10 installed really well and all the drivers worked fine,so this is partly why that is what I am inclined to prefer sticking with it. My question is , is Mint13 equally compatible ?, this computer is about 5 or 6 years old,..dose that matter ? The amount of time I have spent trying fix this, now, in the same time, I could have downloaded the new OS and installed it several times !,...
The fact that the problems started, after doing the updates, dose not neccesarily mean they are bad, it could be a coinicidence and somthing went wrong, un-related, but since it occured at the same time, it appears that it was the updates. I suspect it is because there were so many, I probable should have just done a few at a time,instead of trying to do all of them at once.
I appreciate your helping me on this, I don't see it as wasted time, and hope you don't either, but this is to say, I have decided to go ahead and download mint 13, and make the install CD or is it a DVD,..and at least give it a try,if I have any problems, I can always, just re-install the mint 10, which I do have. My decision is based on, when I started looking at everything, to find what files I wanted to, save and copy to the portable HD, it is clear it would be better to just start fresh,
I can re-install the programs that I use as needed,.
Hope I make sense.
I have managed to get it to boot again, a couple of times, but each time, after it is shutdown, the same, however some things change,
Like this is now saying block (8,0) now instead of (0,0). ,...
There is a lot more, but to be honest, especially since this is no longer supported, I feel I am wasting my time and yours, and now that I have managed to save the stuff that is important to me, it will be much easier, and better just to do a new install.
Thank you very much from Garry
From Garry
My Web Site

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Garry.

As you mention the machine is 5 or 6 years old and as you mention that the error message during the boot process starts changing the block number which cannot be located, I start wondering whether the source of the whole problem might be the harddisk?
Some of my harddisks lived for almost 10 years, before they started malfunctioning. But some harddisks exhibit failures at a much younger age.

About your decision to start all over with a fresh installation:
Well, it is perfectly understandable that you wish to get your netbook up and running again in a reliable way as quickly as possible. If a problem is really tricky, there will always be the point at which to decide: Is it really important to get to the bottom of the problem no matter how long it takes? Or is it more important and more urgent to return the system to a usable state within a reasonable timespan? Preferring the second option is perfectly all right.

About Acer Aspire One and Linux Mint 13:
Well my Acer Aspire One D260 is not 5 years old, maybe 2. So what works on my Acer netbook may or may not work on your Acer netbook. It depends on the hardware specifications whether Mint 13 will bring any joy. You can inspect my netbook hardware in this thread and compare it to yours. (You may safely ignore anything in this thread but the brief section "Hardware and Software Environment".)

Kind regards,
Karl

Return to “Installation & Boot”