Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
minty33
Level 2
Level 2

change default run level

Post by minty33 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:32 pm

First I want say I have seen similar threads but None are exactly the method I'm looking for. I want to boot into terminal and startx only when needed. I want to achieve this by editing whatever file handles run level in upstart. I'm using mint13 xfce. I want to learn this way of doing it because I don't really know upstart yet and only remember how to change default run level in sysv init scripts (no inittab in mint from what o see). I'm trying to familiarize myself with the difference between upstart and sysv. Can anyone explain what file needs editing to boot into terminal and any other info you could volunteer on upstart in general
We all pay for life with death so everything in between should be free. - Bill Hicks

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: change default run level

Post by xenopeek » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:08 am

For Linux Mint 13 I have the steps here how to boot by default to the terminal, and only run the graphical desktop upon giving the startx command. This is a change for the default run-level, so it is always in effect. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=113700

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Re: change default run level

Post by Flemur » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:09 am

...viewtopic.php?f=42&t=113700...
Remove MDM?

There are much better ways.

- boot into "single" mode; select it at boot and your normal boot/login remains available without reinstalling MDM:
menu.lst (something similar for grub.cfg):

Code: Select all

kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-31-generic root=UUID=64blahblah9c ro  single
Boots to login/command line.

- In "/etc/X11/default-display-manager" : replace "/usr/sbin/mdm" with "false". (I haven't tried this one).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 19.1 Xfce/fluxbox
Manjaro openbox/fluxbox

Return to “Installation & Boot”