Can you update from 9 to 13 in one leap? - SOLVED

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
g0lrk
Level 3
Level 3

Can you update from 9 to 13 in one leap? - SOLVED

Post by g0lrk »

As title says is it possible to go from 9 to 13 in one leap WITHOUT losing information please?

I have been very happy indeed with Isadora, and have been running Maya virtually since RC with no problem and feel that the time is now right to make THE move from one LTS to another, but I do have an excess of baggage to take with me though! [good job it's not one of these budget airlines it would cost me an arm and two legs, that's how much baggage there is!]

Unfortunately it's all on the same drive and would take ages to sort out, yes I've got back-ups but they are all disorganised to hell and back and also would take one hell of a lot of time, that's why I could see this as the easy option out really. I'm inherently a lazy bas***d about this, as I feel to a degree we all are?

Anyway back to the topic, is it possible to achieve this safely and relatively easily please?

I await any answers re this.

Cheers Kevin.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Can you update from 9 to 13 in one leap?

Post by chiefjim »

Does your present setup include separate partitions? If so I'd say going from 9 to 13 would be rather routine. Just be certain NOT to format /home.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
g0lrk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by g0lrk »

chiefjim Yes they are separate partitions thanks.

'Routine' - I have my drive with mint 9 on it with 4 partitions - swap - / - home & usr/local. So I just format then / and re-install and all should be OK then?

Basically so long as I don't touch home or usr/local?
Kevin.
g0lrk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by g0lrk »

Just thought of a small glitch, what about the programs I have installed that I use often now I would have to re-install them after upgrading by making a backup of the list of files installed doing it this way, that's the only problem I can see chiefjim unless there is a work-about?

Cheers.

Kevin.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

The only things you should leave in your home are your data directories, Documents, etc, plus .mozilla and .thunderbird if you use those or the equivalent otherwise. ALL the other hidden folders should be deleted or moved elsewhere as none of these are going to be compatible. You will need to re-install any applications.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
g0lrk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by g0lrk »

remoulder OK thanks for that.

After my lunch later on I will get stuck-in and see what needs to be done then.

I think it's a case of getting my backups made first just in case - then disconnect the usb drive and all other internal drives except the one I'm going to install on to and then going for it and seeing confused happens. I can see me coming back here later in the week for more help, but at least I'll have an up to date backup to start from, [the last one was 2 weeks ago].

Data retention is king I find, especially if it is yours and you REALLY MUST have it yesterday.

Thanks to all for the help so far.

Cheers.

Kevin.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

As remoulder mentioned get rid of the hidden folders (files too) leaving .mozilla and .thunderbird.

You may also wish to make a copy of your current installation using remastersys. So nice knowing you can revert back if desired.

Sorting out the data was a project I also performed recently after retiring. Found fslint to be an ideal tool for this. Was amazed to find how many unintened duplicates were taking up space.
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
g0lrk
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Can you update from 9 to 13 in one leap? - SOLVED

Post by g0lrk »

Well just an update on this.....

Did as suggested and left .mozilla and .thunderbird and deleted all the other hidden files, left all my info on there, after a major and I mean major backup. Then went for it.

And after all my worries and if this if that I shouldn't have blinked twice, Mint didn't - it took everything in it's stride and carried on as normal.

I then just re-installed probably 75 - 80% of the programs that were on Mint 9 by a bit at a time from the backup file list, [had to be a bit at a time as it threw it's dummy out when it found glitches it couldn't understand - but what the 'eck!]

Cheers to all, and anyone else out there in the same boat I had no problems, but it may be different for you though, [just covering my self there].

Will say though there is nothing like backup, backup & backup again. Just putting a copy on to one other drive is not really a backup folks!

Anyway thanks a lot to everyone who metaphorically held my hand through this - Cheers!

Kevin.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Can you update from 9 to 13 in one leap? - SOLVED

Post by chiefjim »

Now that you have 13 installed and customized with your desired applications the time has come to run remastersys. Since you say you had lots of data I'd suggest you first run just the distribution option. That will create a live-disc iso of your newly installed system.
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258

Return to “Installation & Boot”