Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wpshooter
Level 5
Level 5

Using thumb drive to install Linux Mint

Post by wpshooter » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:57 am

I am currently using Ubuntu 11.04 and I am anticipating switching to Linux Mint 13.

I do NOT have a DVD burner on my computer - it is a desktop. According to what I am seeing none of the Mint ISOs will fit on my 700mb CDs.

Can I use the "Startup Disk Creator" function in Ubuntu to make a bootable copy (from the downloaded ISO of Mint) to my USB thumb drive (16gb) to eventually use to do the installation of Mint to my hard drive as a replacement for Ubuntu ???

How will the speed and SUCCESS of the installation of Mint from my thumb drive compare to burning the Linux Mint 13 ISO to a DVD and using that for the hard drive installation ?

Thanks.

Matti L
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Using thumb drive to install Linux Mint

Post by Matti L » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:51 pm

I think Startup Disk Creator should work but I always use UNetbootin. Live USB runs and installs faster than Live CD/DVD.

/Zoran\
Level 3
Level 3

Post by /Zoran\ » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:32 pm

Startup disk creator works without a hitch, i just installed LM on a netbook with a USB thumb drive created with it and everything went fine, it was actually faster. But first make sure that your computer can boot from the USB, if it doesn't have a DVD drive, perhaps it's too old to be able to do it, i'm just guessing....

wpshooter
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wpshooter » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:38 pm

[quote="/Zoran\"]Startup disk creator works without a hitch, i just installed LM on a netbook with a USB thumb drive created with it and everything went fine, it was actually faster. But first make sure that your computer can boot from the USB, if it doesn't have a DVD drive, perhaps it's too old to be able to do it, i'm just guessing....[/quote]

No DVD drive but yes it will boot to USB thumb drive just fine, thanks for asking.

wpshooter
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wpshooter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:08 am

Matti L wrote:I think Startup Disk Creator should work but I always use UNetbootin. Live USB runs and installs faster than Live CD/DVD.
I went back and installed Unetbootin from within Ubuntu and then used it to burn Linux Mint ISO to thumb drive and then booted to it and maybe I am wrong but it sure seemed to boot much faster to the thumb drive that had been created using Unetbootin than it did from the one created using the "Startup Disk Creator".

Thanks.

Return to “Installation & Boot”