System won't boot after clone

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
skunkarific
Level 3
Level 3

System won't boot after clone

Post by skunkarific »

I used Acronis 13 to clone my 2TB disk to a spiffy new 3TB disk, when I tried booting, it said the /home directory wasn't present or was missing. From my old drive, I edited fstab to correctly reflect the UUIDs of root, swap and home, updated grub, then started from the new drive. I now have a home directory that is as if it was out of the box, none of my data is there. A quick look at GParted shows the data is there, but from here, I'm lost. Its mint 13 X 64. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: System won't boot after clone

Post by bigj231 »

Try creating a second user, deleting your primary user, then recreating your primary user with the same user name as the old user. If everything works, you can then remove the second user.
skunkarific
Level 3
Level 3

Post by skunkarific »

I did exactly that. Of course, I kept the files. Same result.
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

Can you access all your data through Mint? If you can, then you just need to change the home directory to the old folder. Here's an old ubuntu forums post that might help. Look at the 4th post in particular. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1616427 I'm not on my linux box at the moment, so I can't check and see if it still works.

If the data's not showing up in /home/old_user, then you will need to try to restore your data from the old drive/backup to the new /home folder.
skunkarific
Level 3
Level 3

Post by skunkarific »

I really didn't understand the ubuntu forum's relevance (I'm not saying your post was irrelevant, just that I didn't get it. I "Solved" the issue by using acronis 13 to dump a 2TB (whew) image to another drive and then restore it to my 3TB. When moving my partitions around, though, I ran into the MBR 2.2TB limit. That's another question, I'll post it elsewhere as it would be a thread self-hijack, and it seems that people really get ugly about that.

Return to “Installation & Boot”