GRUB & Windows 8 issue

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
neonfire999

GRUB & Windows 8 issue

Post by neonfire999 »

Ok, so I created a 25gb partition on windows 8 and then since windows 8 wouldn't let me boot into the live linux mint 14 cd, I ran the exe on the cd and told it to help me boot into the live cd. When it did, I went ahead to install it and selected to install alongside windows. When it finished installing and everything, I went to boot into windows 8 again through grub and now its giving me an error that says "error: device format 'ldm/XXXXXXXX/Volume 1' invalid: must be (f|h)dN, with 0 <= N < 128" and then says "a disk error occured. press ctrl+alt+del too restart". When I try to boot into the recovery partition it just shows the second screen. I tried to boot into my windows 8 installation disk to try to repair the boot record, but like i said before, it won't let me boot into cds or dvds for some reason even though ive put them at the top of my boot order. Thanks for the help! I have an essay to write that is due tomorrow (friday) and i'd really like to have this fixed quickly so I can get to that..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Re: GRUB & Windows 8 issue

Post by srs5694 »

Boot Linux, download the Boot Info Script, and run it. This will produce a file called RESULTS.txt that contains diagnostic information necessary to figure out what's wrong. Post it here, either as a link or between code tags.

Return to “Installation & Boot”