Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Ashocka
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE Installing and using multiple languages

Postby Ashocka » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:12 am

Hi,

Have just installed LMDE latest on my wifes ASUS laptop. Have used the keyboard utility to have both multiple languages; English and Chinese. They show up on the panel, but I can't figure out how to switch from one to the other with hot keys. You used to be able to switch in SCIM (which I think is now obsolete) using CTRL+SPACEBAR. This option is not offered in the Keyboard Utility, so I have tried configuring another combination, but nothing seems to work. Even when I set it to Chinese in the utility, the keyboard input is still English.

Help would be appreciated

Geoff

Ashocka
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE Installing and using multiple languages

Postby Ashocka » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:11 am

Problem Solved

snarf
Level 1
Level 1

Postby snarf » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:31 am

What was the solution to your problem?

I have SCIM installed but it doesn't recognize Chinese. The only 'option' it gives me is to use English. How can I get SCIM to give me Chinese as a language option?

Ashocka
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ashocka » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:35 pm

snarf wrote:What was the solution to your problem?

I have SCIM installed but it doesn't recognize Chinese. The only 'option' it gives me is to use English. How can I get SCIM to give me Chinese as a language option?

If I remember correctly I installed ibus instead of scim (as I had observed previously an upgrade installed ibus over scim, so I went with that). I also installed pinyin.

If you are going to use SCIM and Chinese, in the past there was a whole procedure one had to follow on the command line to get it going. It's documented somewhere, but I find ibus much easier to install and setup.

snarf
Level 1
Level 1

Postby snarf » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:00 am

Thanks for your reply. Before I saw it, I also made the decision to ditch scim and use ibus. After I installed ibus-pinyin, it all came together fairly smoothly. I guess I'll never know what is broken about scim but it doesn't really matter now. Also, thanks to this page: http://pinyinjoe.com/linux/ubuntu-12-chinese-setup.htm 没问题!

Return to “Installation & Boot”