installing mint 14 after windows 7

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mannock

installing mint 14 after windows 7

Post by mannock »

I've just finished installing mint 14 to dual boot with windows 7 but I can only boot to windows, there is no choice of additional operating systems at boot. windows is on my ssd, and I wanted to put mint on to my storage hard drive as it is 1tb and nearly empty. So I created 100gb unallocated space at the beginning of this big drive and installed mint onto it. All seemed to go well and in windows management there is a new partition plus a small swap one, so it seems to be present and correct and, having selected ''install linux alongside windows'' during the install I assumed it would automatically add choices of OS to the boot menu. I have tried changing the boot order to the linux disc but then it won't boot up at all so I changed it back to the windows one. I read somewhere that grub should be updated but of course as I cannot run mint I cannot run grub. The last thing I did was to download easy BCD but to be honest I am scared to use it in case I trash windows. I never had this problem when I once installed ubuntu after xp, worked first time and never had any problem with it, but that was on an old machine a few years ago.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mannock

Re: installing mint 14 after windows 7

Post by mannock »

okay now. took the risk and used free bcd, clicked add entry, chose grub 2, selected the mint parition, clicked add entry. on reboot to my surprise and relief there was the option for windows 7 or mint. phew! very nice so far, just got to sort out my sound and find out how to install drivers for my asus dx card.

Return to “Installation & Boot”