SOLVED CD version LM 13

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Duderino

SOLVED CD version LM 13

Post by Duderino »

Where can I find the CD download version of LM 13? User guide says it is available but all I can find is the DVD version. I have a bunch of 70MB blanks I'd like to use :-) and installing to an older machine that won't boot from USB.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
baptiste

Re: CD version LM 13

Post by baptiste »

How dare you ask, it's addressed in the release notes :oops:

copy-pasta from the Minte 14 KDE release notes (same message is repeated at each release of an edition)
CD images

Because of the size of the content, and the fact that a vast majority of systems nowadays can either boot from DVDs or from USB, Linux Mint no longer provides images which fit in 700MB CDs. It is however possible and easy to to modify ISO images. By removing packages such as Java, Mono, LibreOffice, Gimp..etc.. Linux Mint ISOs can be made to fit within 700MB. For instructions on how to remaster the Linux Mint ISOs, please read the following tutorial: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/918
You have to follow the instructions and type stuff like "apt-get purge libreoffice-core" and other stuff in the "chroot" to make the ISO smaller. (a chroot allows to pretend you're running the OS you're chrooting into)

If that's too cumbersome, you have a few out-of-the box options if you want a CD image, such as linux mint 12 LXDE (will go unsupported in april 2013 but it's not a bad option for your old comp), or debian wheezy's first CD (it should come with the XFCE desktop, also it's not Mint and you might have to install the network card's firmware, not provided on the CD, before getting network access)

update : Found an unofficial CD ISO there :) http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&p=604069
Duderino

Re: CD version LM 13

Post by Duderino »

Thanks for the answer. I was just going by the information in the user guide, which says
"Note: Linux Mint also provides images which fit on 700MB CDs. If you can't burn DVDs please use the CD images instead." Couldn't find the CD image on the site so I reached out to the forum. "
I will update the image to fit on my CD per your instructions. Thanks again for your help.

Return to “Installation & Boot”