Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Milltach
Level 1
Level 1

Cannot install Mint 14 - there is just a black screen

Post by Milltach » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:42 pm

Hi,

I have here an Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 with a 3570K + Geforce GTX 560ti.
I burned my linuxmint-14.1-cinnamon-dvd-64bit on a DVD an was trying to install it.

The bootmenu is there, but after I select "Start Linux Mint" - there is just a black screen. Its actually a freeze or something, because the computer is not reacting.

Maybe the hardware is to new for Ubuntu/Mint? I was reading that it took a very long time, but now even ubuntu is supporting the Z77 intel chipset. So that should not be the problem I think. Maybe I have to change something in my boot option, but what? Any ideas?

Edit: Oh and Im using SSD´s not a HDD, maybe thats a problem?

randysvh
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cannot install Mint 14 - there is just a black screen

Post by randysvh » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:14 pm

the install disk will go so far and then hang or so it appears. If i boot it in the compatibility mode it boots fully, with no mouse and no usb. Installing it over 11 and do not want to erase a working system until i know i have a fully running bootable system to install. What has changed from version 11 booting and 14? This is on a HP Probook. I remember i had issues with 12 when i installed 11, but now 11 is no longer supported and need to upgrade it for my customer to 14, but will not boot. There is no indication of what it is doing if it is and tried the alt-F1 or F2, but nothing.

ANY IDEAS or suggestions?

randy

Tomius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tomius » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:14 am

The grub has changed since mint 11, now it can display higher resolution, better looking boot screens, however its unfortunatelly not compatible with every video card.

You have a few options to solve it:
a) install linux mint from windows using wubi
b) If you can get to the installation options screen (where you can choose from try linux, memtest, etc), and press f6 and choose nomodeset, it should work.

Note that at the first boot after install you may experience the same problem, it can be solved by running linux in recovery mode and adding kernel option (press 'e') nomodeset before the last double dash.

Milltach
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Milltach » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:39 am

Hi, I was now trying to install Mint via Wubi but its not changing the freeze problem.

After the installation in Windows I have to restart, so Mint can complete the installation.
But its just freezing after the booting again.

I was trying other modes like Safe Graphics Mode or ACPI Workaround. Not helping, its freezing after:
hard reseting link
Im pretty sure its not the gpu, because I was using this card with ubuntu and it runs fine. It sure the mainboard, maybe it is too new (year 2012 :roll: )
I saw that other Asrock users got some problems with ubuntu + this board, somehow its because of ACPI not supported here. I tried ACPI off, nomodeset: not helping.
I could deactivate ACPI (somehow), but this will kill windows for sure - and thats not good.

oobetimer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by oobetimer » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:51 pm

The solution:

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1614

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/05/06/ ... orkaround/
"Workaround for LMDE 201012 32-bit users:

If you downloaded LMDE 201012 32-bit and all you're getting is a black screen, you might just be a kernel argument away from a successful boot. The solution is to download 201101, but you can save 1GB of download and a new DVD by using the following arguments:

* For ATI chipsets: radeon.modeset=0
* For nVidia chipsets: xforcevesa or nomodeset
* For GeForce and Generic: nouveau.modeset=0
* For Intel: i915.modeset=0

This should give you a live session in low resolution. Since the embedded kernel is already up-to-date, you don't need to configure anything post-installation and your system should then boot in high resolution.

Return to “Installation & Boot”