LM14 cannot boot past splash screen

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jewnersey

LM14 cannot boot past splash screen

Post by jewnersey »

I was running LM13 no problem and decided to upgrade to LM14.

Initially i was having trouble booting into the LM14 USB stick i had, but after browsing around, and adding 'apci=off' in the compatibility mode options, i got in. I installed LM14 using the same partition scheme i had before, formatting my root partition, but leaving the /home partition intact (i did however, move all the files to a backup folder on the partition). Everything seemed to go smoothly, but after trying to boot into LM14 from grub, it just hangs at the splash screen, even in recovery mode. NOW, i cant seem to get back into the liveUSB environment to try again.

When trying to boot into the USB stick it hangs after 'Starting SMB/CIFS Filer Server [ok]' (it does this twice, gets past the first time and freezes after the second)

In booting to the installed OS, in recovery mode after continuing to normal mode, it hangs at 'Stopping user boot splash..... [ok]' (cant recall exactly0

I no nearly nothing about linux, and have exhausted my normal search capabilities, so i turn to the community for assistance.
Please let me know if you have any advice or references.

BTW:
My computer is an Acer TravelMate . LM13 ran perfect.
It has a B43xxx adapter.
I was dual booting win7 with lm13.
now i am trying to run win8 and install lm14. (win8 installed on the first partition and running fine)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jewnersey

Re: booting troubles..

Post by jewnersey »

gonna update this..

so i had a chance to mess around this morning and here are a couple more things.

asi mentioned i can never make it past the splash screen.

Using 'Boot from local disk' after starting with my usb drive, i end up at busybox ' initramfs > '
in compatibility mode with apci=off before the -- it freezes after 'Starting SMD/CIFS File Server [ok]'
and after the -- it freezes after 'Starting network connection manager [ok]'

im gonna keep fiddling but hopefully someone has some insight for me at some point

edit::

Woops, realize i was using apci=off instead of acpi=off. booting back into the live environement fine now. reinstalled, but it still freezes at LM splash screen. in recovery mode it goes fine, then i select Normal mode and it immediately freezes after ' Stopping userspace bootsplash [ok]' .. i tried adding acpi=off to the options when booting in recovery mode, but it didnt seem to affect anything
jewnersey

Re: LM14 cannot boot past splash screen

Post by jewnersey »

ok so, selecting 'e' and adding apci=off to the linux line lets me get into the environ. now i just need to read how negatively this affects my pc (as i have read that it kills fans even though i hear mine blowing still)

Return to “Installation & Boot”