Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

moved mint, can't boot

Postby MALsPa » Mon May 05, 2008 9:31 pm

I moved Mint to a new partition and deleted the old partition. Since I deleted the old one, I can't boot into Mint.

When I boot using recovery mode I see:

Check root=bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev
ALERT! /dev/sdb11 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

I ran cat /proc/cmdline and it returns:

root=/dev/sdb11 ro single

It should say /dev/sdb7 because I deleted sdb11. How can I change this? I am using another distro's grub but should I reinstall Mint's grub to its / partition or what? I don't know how to fix this unless reinstalling Mint's grub will work.

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Re: moved mint, can't boot

Postby Fred » Mon May 05, 2008 9:54 pm

MALsPa,

You have some editing to do. You need to edit Mint's /etc/fstab and correct the partition assignments in that file. If you are using UUIDs, they will need to be corrected.

You also need to edit /boot/menu.lst of Mint and/or the other distro you are using to boot with, and correct the "root" and "root=" entries to reflect the new partitioning.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Postby MALsPa » Mon May 05, 2008 10:07 pm

Fred wrote:MALsPa,

You have some editing to do. You need to edit Mint's /etc/fstab and correct the partition assignments in that file. If you are using UUIDs, they will need to be corrected.

You also need to edit /boot/menu.lst of Mint and/or the other distro you are using to boot with, and correct the "root" and "root=" entries to reflect the new partitioning.

Fred

Okay, I had already fixed Mint's fstab and the deleted partitions are no longer mentioned there.

But, ah, yes, in the other distro's menu.lst, I still have

root=/dev/sdb11

And it should be root=/dev/sdb7. Is that all there is to it? Check this out, I fixed part of Mint's entry in that menu.lst but missed the other part:

title Linux Mint, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (on /dev/hdb7)
root (hd1,6)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/sdb11 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
savedefault
boot

Silly mistake. I'll try it now.

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Postby MALsPa » Mon May 05, 2008 10:20 pm

Yes, that did the trick -- thanks, Fred!!! Can't believe I missed that.

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Fred » Mon May 05, 2008 10:36 pm

MALsPa,

Hey, don't feel bad. I specialize in making mistakes and oversights. I know the feeling well. :-)

Fred

EDIT: In fact, I made one in my original post. It should have been /boot/grub/menu.lst and not /boot/menu.lst. :-)
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

Return to “Installation & Boot”