Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
fruitkiller
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Solve boot problems with AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards

Post by fruitkiller » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:43 pm

Some might have encountered my problems with my long-standing Mint 17.3 partition, which started as 17, then 17.1, 17.2, 17.3. Along the way the 15.30.1025 AMD driver for my Radeon HD 7850 stopped working, one of those times I pressed the power button, and X crashed at boot. It says I'm still using it, although, that install is messed up, it recognizes it, but opengl isn't installed and typing fglrxinfo gives one an error saying it's not installed. Then after that QT and some KDE applications stopped working. On terminal they all said "Segfault". So, I installed Mint 17.1 from a fresh iso on another old 200gb WD drive that refuses to break since 2005....back then they didn't have colour "codes", they were all black text on them, on those first SATA drives.

Anyway, I went my merry way and successfully installed the 15.30.1025 driver on it. But sometime, when I installed a program from backup using Aptik, it installed many X related packages and inevitably the X refused to open, segfault error happened. So I'm now in there, reinstalling, uninstalling and installing, and it won't install anymore.

So segfault, I did a memtest and although I couldn't find the 2 pass option, which is weird, I did a complete test and it found some errors. This is Corsair memory, it's supposed to be high quality right? Better than Kingston memory by miles, right? I have 16gb of ram, as 2 packs of 2 Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866mhz memory. Am I really to the point where one of the memory slots could be broken? Or a memory stick being half broken? Because typically, the BIOS detects faulty memory with a typical sequence of beeps, but I get none of that. The only error I get sometimes is that I have an Overclock error and to press F1 to enter BIOS and repair it, although I have not overclocked anything, even if I have quite the cooling system and a chip made for that (AMDFX8350 Black Edition 8 cores). Some have told me to swap around the brackets and do a memtest again, I really hate messing around with mem sticks, especially these, it would seem the big handles on those Corsairs sticks help, but, really they don't help one with big fingers/hands all that much and it obscures the slots a lot more than regular boring green small brackets. But is that where I am now, looking for a faulty mem stick(s) ? Because I have definitely tried everything and as soon as some packages get installed the driver gets broken. If I start Audacious-Qt in this 17.1 install, it does start but if I start the Visualization it will crash. While it worked before installing a program that drags along a lot of packages, or pre-installing packages to compile my own ffmpeg (I always do that). Situation's confusing for sure. Right now though the error is different than in my "main" Mint install, the 17.3 one I stuck around with for so long despite being broken in so many ways, as long the basics were working and openvpn worked, it was fine, I can use regular Audacious and other IRC programs and different programs for other purposes, although I find them inferior than what I truly want, like what was I considered my perfect built (the one that started with 17 through 17.3). Before asking for inxi...look at my previous posts if you feel so inclined. I think it's now down to a single point of hardware failure. Hopefully not the memory inside the gpu.

edit : I just remembered, what broke the Mint 17.1 install was me installing that new kernel that was available in the updates along with the headers. It was 3.13.0.141 and even going back to 3.13.0-27 which is the kernel that came with the iso I downloaded from the site and verified with the key as conform. After that and all what that installed, including gcc 4.8, where gcc 4.6 I think was there previously from the clean install. Maybe not installing linux-firmware was a bad idea, should I install it? Maybe it needs it to work with my gpu? Anyways, I found what broke the driver, similar to what I think happened sometimes when updating the 17.3 built, which survived 17->17.1->17.2->17.3 (although I had to reinstall the driver for 17.3 when it was new, gave me the same X server crash, although not sure it was a segfault, as I was able to install it again easily.

fruitkiller
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fruitkiller » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:40 am

I want to make a new post because I finally figured it out after some lucky search results when using the error I would get after installing the driver using .deb packages I made from the .run file. It worked even without rebooting, although my sound cards disappeared so I had to reboot and I was lucky, they all came back and now I'm wowed by the quality of the colour again and how smooth it goes and no error when typing in fglrxinfo.

I found a pastebin link with my issue and somehow how to repair it : https://pastebin.com/CQT13yni

So, I did this :

Code: Select all

user@debian-desktop:~$ fglrxinfo | grep renderingXlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual!

user@debian-desktop:~$ compiz --replace
Unlike that person's pastebin results, I got something different, it said things about my gpu and some errors, like, the bottom panel had teleported to the top of the screen and windows lost their 3 buttons at the upper right (I'm using MATE). So I manage to get the panel back at the bottom, but with the sound cards having disappeared and no icons in the windows, I rebooted and now fglrxinfo gives the info it should and Catalyst works again :

Code: Select all

display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series  
OpenGL version string: 4.5.13416 Compatibility Profile Context 15.30.1025
So, right now I'm not going to mess around with kernels, even though I'm using kernel 3.13, it's the very latest kernel 3.13. Not risking it, I'll try to see if I can game later when I install CrossOver or Wine, dunno if I'll install CrossOver right away. This is a way to make it work, I wonder if it would in my 17.3 partition, I will try, I don't think I ever used deb files created from the .run installation file before, or if I did, it didn't work once installed.

The Visualizations in Audacious work, and the plugin is called openGL visualization so I guess it's there for good.

Krustenviech
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Krustenviech » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:39 pm

Hi.
How would i act, if i got a black screen and stuck mouse after login?

I can access the EFI Bootmenu and also get to console.

Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ Prozessor
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 970M (3 GB)
Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon
Linux Mint fresh installation and only OS on my system now.

Remus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Remus » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:32 pm

Thanks for the help in advance.

I have a similar problem. I am trying to give 18.3 a trial alongside of win 10. I manage to UEFI boot from the thumb drive. I get the options and followed the instructions at the start of this thread.
I chose compatibility mode and held down the 'Left Shift' key. All the coding appeared which promptly scrolled to the very bottom and did not let me edit using the 'e' key, instead something like hieroglyphics or fragments of writing appeared as it continued to boot into Mint. I know this as the sound was turned on.

Is there a way I can halt the load process until I have edited and added the 'nomodeset' into the command line?

Intel i7 6700, Nvidia GTX 970

I am considering building a stock Linux pc without card if this does not work

woxof
Level 1
Level 1

Post by woxof » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:06 pm

Thank you Xenopeek! Used your solution to install Mint on a Dell optiplex 380 (nvidia card).

krepsen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by krepsen » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:04 am

Trying to install mint 18 cinnamon on a HP Z6 computer (no windows/clean install) - I manage to install Linux by replacing "splash quiet" with "nomodeset".
However, I cannot enter the "second GRUB" after rebooting post-installation - hence I cannot replace the splash quiet" with "nomodeset" in the "second GRUB" = black screen after booting bios.

Did this on a HP Z240 and was able to open the grub menu to replace the "splash quiet" to "nomodeset" after install. However, for the Z6 I cannot get it to start the grub menu.

I have tried holding SHIFT (both left and right) multiple times, also tried booting directly from bios (the usb) but that will only allow me to enter the first grub menu (the grub menu for the live disk).
Is there another way to get the grub menu (for the hard disk)?

EDIT: as suggested - I've posted this question in a new thread.New thread
Last edited by krepsen on Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Moem » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:33 am

krepsen wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:04 am
Is there another way to get the grub menu (for the hard disk)?
I would recommend asking that question in a separate thread, instead of at the tail of a very long one. It'll be much more easily noticed.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

karlchen
Level 19
Level 19

Post by karlchen » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:37 am

<moderator on>
Split off sandyihb67's post and turned into a separate thread, Machine does not boot normally, cannot load AMD graphic driver, because sandyihb67's problem seems to be particularly complex.
~~
Split off verlen's post and turned into a separate thread, Elitebook 8530w: Mint 19 and problems with NVidia driver.
</moderator off>
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.21a 64-bit
Ubuntu 18.04.1 32-bit Mate Desktop, Total Commander 9.21a 32-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

blanco12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blanco12 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:39 am

It is unlikely but I did find a similar issue that had been discussed elsewhere; considering you already had windows installed it could be that it wants to use some default screen resolution or other screen settings from your previous configuration prior to the time that the OS is loaded and and with the current setup it is unable to do that and thus for whatever reason is prevented from booting. Whether it be due to the a problem on the port, monitor or cable or the settings on the OS itself Additionally there is no harm in trying the other DVI port & the HDMI port just to eliminate it as a potentially faulty port.

sayto2018
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sayto2018 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:26 am

Thank you people for this thread it is really useful for me, thank you again!

Return to “Installation & Boot”