Solve boot problems with AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pierredekat

Re: Solve boot problems with AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards

Post by pierredekat »

I did some updates to my Linux Mint 17.1 two days ago and the updates confused my system to where all I could get when I logged in was a black screen with a white cursor.

I followed xenopeek's "nomodeset xforcevesa" instructions, and I was able to boot into my regular desktop.

Once I made it to my desktop, I pulled up Driver Manager to ensure that my Invidia driver looked hunky-dory, rebooted my computer normally, and it rebooted perfectly.

Then I rebooted another four or five times, just to be sure.

So xenopeek's fix works for Mint 17.1, too.

My Specs: Dell Inspiron 530 with Nvidia GeForce 6200 LE graphics card running Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca 32-bit with MATE desktop

Thanks so much, xenopeek. You saved me from having to reinstall Mint.
bene43420

Post by bene43420 »

Installing Mint 17 on system with AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 6000+ with a Nvidia GeForce 6150SE graphics chip. Once Mint was installed, system would freeze up almost immediately. Gleaning from the various comments in this thread, I did the following:

1.) add the boot parameters "nomodeset xforcevesa" (without quotes) to the GRUB boot menu. ( At the boot menu, press 'e' to edit. Using the cursor keys, scroll down to the line that starts with "linux" and arrow to the end of that line which is probably on the next line down.) As it wraps over to the next line, there will be a backslash added, which is ok. Press F10 to continue.

2.)Open Terminal and run sudo apt-get install nvidia-current-updates.

3.) In Firefox > Preferences > Advanced > General uncheck hardware rendering.

Have not had any issues thereafter.
JeMuscleMaCréativité

Post by JeMuscleMaCréativité »

Bonjour,

I apologize for my basic level of english, but it's not my native langage.
If my experience can be useful for someone...

I had many troubles installing LM Cinnamon or Mate on a Dell laptop Inspiron 17R i3 (N7110) as it uses an intel discret GC and a Nvidia GT525M. I own the laptop for about 4 years and tried to install Ubuntu, Fedora, eOS, Debian without any real succes. The main problem is the fan which works at level 1 all the time. Sometimes it goes in "airport mode" and it's a little bit annoying.
With Linux Mint, booting from live USB leads to black screen or freezes. I used acpi=off or nomodeset in Grub.
With acpi=off : no battery information, freezes, random 100% cpu (every 20-30 seconds), crazy keyboard, fan always on.
With nomodeset : low resolution (tried many tutos to fix gfx=1600x900), fan always on.

After 5 fresh installations, many update-grub "exotic mixes", I read document about "Optimus Nvidia" on the french Ubuntu help, I finally used : pci=noapci.
It gave me 1600x900, battery info, cpu infos but fan is always on.
I'am in dual boot windows 7, my bios is A13 (it seems to be the last) and the fan is always off. Sometimes, it goes speed 1 but only 10 seconds and stops.

I tried i8kutils but it made the fan working at the maximum speed.

I'll try "nomodeset xforcevesa" tonight.
bobdro

Post by bobdro »

A newbe here trying to install Mint 17.1 to a AMD Kaveri 7850 (integrated R7 graphics on a Gigaybyte X88 motherboard). When booting up I get a 1/4 white block on the upper left corner of the screen and install stops. Booted into compatibility mode and install stops on " (drm) Initialized radeon 2.36.0 200080528 for 0000:00:01.0 on minor 0" Install stops at line 7.2482331. Newest Ubuntu 15.04 appears to load fine but prefer Mint which I have on my laptop already working. Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.
bobdro

Post by bobdro »

Problem has been solved. Updated bios on Gigabyte board to latest ver. (F8) and Mint 17.1 loads and installs ok. Just letting anybody know if they have a Gigabyte Kaveri board to update the bios. :D
bradmint

Post by bradmint »

This worked for me. I was having problems with LinuxMint going either black screen, incomplete desktop or cursor freezing. I ran LinuxMint in compatibility mode and installed it although the screen resolution was wrong. Then, I rebooted again in compatibility mode and went to Administration, Driver Manager and installed the correct Nvidia driver for my machine. I rebooted and all I had to do was adjust my Display in Preferences. I've since installed Google Earth and all is well.

I hope this helps a lot of folks as the generic driver was the culprit and can cause the desktop or cursor to freeze up although the resolution seemed to be correct. Oh, I used Universal USB Installer instead of a DVD this time and it worked great. Just be sure to format the USB drive to FAT 32 first and follow the instructions. http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/ .
Dolmayan

Post by Dolmayan »

Hi. Nothing from above works for me, it still black screen when i try to boot into Linux. Any suggestions?
jeflikesmint

Post by jeflikesmint »

Probably off subject do to the machines I'm referring to, but, Amd. Specifically mac book a1181 core 2 duo, and a a1278 both with different video cards and different but AMD processors. Sorry for the vagueness, but my point , Mint works fine running with a dual OS in a partition manner. Ubuntu MATE vivid vervet has both of these (AMD64, Core2duo) needing different files. On the 1278 install I used the latest via torrent, made a disk( favour usb but it wasn't showing on option) and It had been formatted! Oops. Plugged in the connection popped in the dvd, and the the apple files "43"' appeared. I'm a Mint 17 guy on a old dell 1545, there's not a lot of Dells that dislike mint. I'm sure of of you nice guys will slap me with a link on how to put mint 17 solo on these dinosaurs!( the macbooks) Thing is, UbuMATE is a very nice and complete system. These old Macs are solid with Linux. Sorry if I'm in the wrong place, move me as usual! thx, J
mehimu

Post by mehimu »

I'm planning to buy a new graphics card in the next week, hope that, this will help me , when i'll intal linux. Thanks xenopeek
Donzy

Post by Donzy »

Had some problems booting from USB also appearing black while not loading anything else, I went into Bios, Configuration, Graphics Device, "UMA only" and then it worked booted up fine :D
reoxb

Post by reoxb »

Thank's, thank's men, I reinstall my system, 4 o 5 times. And I very happy with linux mint, this help to me!.

The black screen with grub menu. And I can fixed editing /boot/grub/grub.cfg and I search with vim command : /$vt_handoff and put to the end nomodeset xforcevesa
the reason was the grub start with choice "e" does'nt saved the changes.

Thanks....
Ogonatron

Post by Ogonatron »

I am only able to boot if I select advanced options, then recovery mode and then resume normal boot.
This is pretty annoying as it takes a while and I am starting my PC several times a day.
Trying to boot normally gives me a black screen and I have to alt tab delete.
I have tried editing the Grub page, adding nomodeset or nvidia.modeset=0 and or grub_gfxmode=1280x1024x24 but none of these work.
I have an Nvidia GTX 960.

I am running Nvidia drivers 346.96 installed through the repository and they work great.
I had no problems booting from a live USB and installing the OS.

What can I do to get a normal boot?
Sykal

Post by Sykal »

Linux Mint 17.3 does not currently recognize my gpu. I have a GTX 970 and a an amd 8370 for cpu. I manage to get the installer to display by adding the noveau.modeset=0 line by pressing tab during the install options but after I do the proper install the setting is not saved and I end up with an os that does not display anything. Anyone knows what I can do to fix this? Here's my pc info. This is currently using LMDE 2.

Code: Select all

System:    Host: hadoken Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.4) 
           Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.6 (Gtk 3.14.5+4) Distro: LinuxMint 2 betsy 
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A99X EVO R2.0 v: Rev 1.xx
           Bios: American Megatrends v: 2501 date: 04/03/2014
CPU:       Octa core AMD FX-8370 Eight-Core (-MCP-) cache: 16384 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 64220 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1400 MHz 2: 2100 MHz 3: 1400 MHz 4: 1400 MHz
           5: 1400 MHz 6: 1400 MHz 7: 1400 MHz 8: 1400 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA Device 13c2 bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2
           GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 352.55 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 NVIDIA Device 0fbb driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1 
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) 
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.16.0-4-amd64
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 3000.6GB (5.3% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST2000DM001 size: 2000.4GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: External_USB_3.0 size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 1.8T used: 25G (2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 17.18GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 17.9C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:43C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 219 Uptime: 1:02 Memory: 1979.6/15986.2MB 
           Init: SysVinit runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.9.2 
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.301) inxi: 2.1.28 
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

You should have started a new thread rather than adding to this very old discussion.

If you can boot your installed Mint by adding noveau.modeset=0 during boot. (Press "e", for Edit when you see the Grub menu), then you can make that permanent by adding it to the text file /etc/default/grub

Open /etc/default/grub in your text editor (mine is gedit)

gksu gedit /etc/default/grub
Add the 'noveau.modeset=0' to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line, so it would look something like:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash noveau.modeset=0"
Save and exit the text editor, then update grub:

sudo update-grub
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
geg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by geg »

Hi, I followed instructions (F12, press Shift, and your suggestion), none of them worked. But your solution set something going; at least the terminal recognised Quirky. But anyway, it seems to have improved; Linux Mint 17 has stopped freezing. Seems best to stay away from Chrome or chromium and pepperflash. Have bad experiences mixing open and nonfree programs, so I don't mix at all. Seems that it's waste of energy to struggle with Puppy Quirky; Mint's ok. Puppy's old?
Conclusion: You seem to give good advice to be patient and keep on trying until it gets better. Because I have recalled that I've had very few freezes lately. THX!
The interaction inside of terminal and the other software in Linux is good. But I wish for more makros, better updates of Firefox, and better firewalls in our near future.
geg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by geg »

Catweasel, thx for this advice: sudo apt-get install nvidia-current-updates. Terminal told me impossible due to my removal of destroyed packages. So I instead of Nividia 340 (suggested), chose Nividia 304, and then updates where made. I believe problem is solved, thx again. I learn slow, 'cause I don't read Linux' language much, just copy and paste. But starting to get interested in this Linux project, and hereby claim that we rise our target to become as good as Macintosh ever was!-:D
Sykal

Post by Sykal »

austin.texas wrote:You should have started a new thread rather than adding to this very old discussion.

If you can boot your installed Mint by adding noveau.modeset=0 during boot. (Press "e", for Edit when you see the Grub menu), then you can make that permanent by adding it to the text file /etc/default/grub

Open /etc/default/grub in your text editor (mine is gedit)

gksu gedit /etc/default/grub
Add the 'noveau.modeset=0' to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line, so it would look something like:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash noveau.modeset=0"
Save and exit the text editor, then update grub:

sudo update-grub
Thanks a whole lot. I'll give it a try. I reinstalled 17.2 in the mean time. Do you know if upgrading this one would replicate that problem with the gpu? i.e. Would I be better off doing a clean install or upgrading?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Sykal wrote:I reinstalled 17.2 in the mean time. Do you know if upgrading this one would replicate that problem with the gpu? i.e. Would I be better off doing a clean install or upgrading?
The inplace upgrade from 17.2 to 17.3 does not automatically upgrade the kernel. A clean install would require re-configuration.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

I'm having problems with this also, at least I think this is the issue. I have done many installs of Mint along with some other linux distro's, but on this laptop it just won't install. I tried many methods most of which I cannot remember now as seen in the post below. Now am back to Windows 7 because of so many attempts of failed installs. I already have two other linux installs and don't want to damage this pc, but just want to know if and how this can be done. I am not experiencing any issues while running Live as seen by so many others here? it is the install that just completely fails, doesn't even try to install.
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/1I0k ... aWscG8OcUh

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=213773&p=1141927#p1115328

I would like to Install Cinnamon, Mate or maybe Xfce.
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
EricTheGrey

Post by EricTheGrey »

2chunky wrote:Ok, liveboot with nvidia gtx 550 ti graphics card
1. hit spacebar after bios screen to boot into grub display
2. hit tab to display a command line (displays live boot path)
3. backspace over the two dashes at the end of the command line
4. as above add nomodeset xforcevesa
5. press enter
this will get you a 800x600 screen
Thank you for this entry Zchunky.

I've seen the "nomodeset" option under several threads, not just here, but over on the Ubuntu site as well, but NOBODY except you has indicated exactly where that was suppose to go. :lol:

For the record, that was all I needed to get the live cd (or rather, USB in my case) to run. Now to see if I can get it installed on my poor old Mac.

8) Eric the Grey

Return to “Installation & Boot”