Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
srhalfwaythere
Level 1
Level 1

Installation Hangs for Bianca

Postby srhalfwaythere » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:52 pm

Hey all. Yesterday I downloaded Bianca from one of the USA http mirrors, it downloaded smoothly, burned flawlessly at 4x b/c I'm using a CD-RW, but when I loaded up Bianca and chose to install it hung at 43%. The menu's went fine, I got all the drives setup and all that jazz, and it installed pretty quickly - but like I said it just hung at 43%. The whole desktop wouldn't respond. The buttons would light up when I scrolled over them but nothing loaded. And I couldn't close the install window (it was my last resort). So I restarted and tried again but the same thing happened. Any one have some ideas or suggestions? From the time spent in the LiveCD, everything loooked great. I didn't test my wireless (WRT54G - bcmwl5.inf - bcm43xx) card yet, but hopefully when this installs I will be able to.

canuck.farmboy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby canuck.farmboy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:46 am

What kind of mother board??

whistlerspa
Level 1
Level 1

Postby whistlerspa » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:41 am

Dirty or scratched disk? I had this happen once with a Ubuntu install. Try cleanig or reburning the disk perhaps.

manishk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby manishk » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:53 am

And burn the .iso at low speed, as low as possible.
"...Many people can only keep on fighting when they expect to win. I'm not like that, I always expect to lose. I fight anyway, and sometimes I win."

-Stallman

srhalfwaythere
Level 1
Level 1

Postby srhalfwaythere » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:06 pm

My mobo shouldn't be a problem. I'm guessing it's the cd-rw. I've used them so many times and just let them sit where ever that they're scratched to hell. I'll try it with a new cd and see how that works. Thanks.

nick
Level 5
Level 5

Installation Hangs for Bianca

Postby nick » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:00 pm

After having trouble with burning ISO's, I have
for the, last year always burnt the ISO's to DVD,
never had a problem since.
Nick

srhalfwaythere
Level 1
Level 1

Postby srhalfwaythere » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:26 pm

It ended up being the worn down cdrw. I burned Mint to a new cdr and everything is working perfectly. Right now I'm replying from withing Mint. And I'm loving it.

canuck.farmboy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby canuck.farmboy » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:10 pm

Good stuff....reason I was asking about mobo is the fact that some nf2 mobos have to boot with 'noapic noalpic' options. Funky controller chips reacting with the kernel. When there's trouble; all the symptoms you had become apparent.

Good that you're up and running....gord

Return to “Installation & Boot”