Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Paco62
Level 1
Level 1

boot options for laptop install?

Postby Paco62 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:50 pm

I am trying to install mint 13 maya mate 64-bit in a asus g75vw 'republic of gamers' laptop with two hard drives. One hard drive has Xubuntu 12.04 on it, and the other has windows 7. I gave up trying to get windows 7 and xubuntu to co-exist and now want to erase windows 7 drive and install mint on it. I put in the mint live disk but mint would not boot up, just a white screen with a blinking white cursor. Restarted and then pressed the space bar and got a window with options to start linux mint, start in compatibility mode, integrity check, memory test, boot from local drive. It also said press tab to select boot options. I did that and there is a line which says "> /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/mint.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash -- " Which of these should I change and how to do it?

kc1di
Level 8
Level 8

Re: boot options for laptop install?

Postby kc1di » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:10 pm

Paco62 wrote: "> /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/mint.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash -- " Which of these should I change and how to do it?

Just add

Code: Select all

nomodeset
to the end and try that. so it would look like this

Code: Select all

>  /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/mint.seed  boot=casper  initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash -- nomodeset
John 3:16
Morse code an Early Digital Mode
Registered Linux User #462608
LinuxMint 18 XFCE4 /18.1 Cimmamon 3.2
Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2082305&p=12350385#post12350385

Return to “Installation & Boot”