Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
digitman
Level 1
Level 1

Stuck on black screen when booting

Postby digitman » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:45 am

Hi all,

I've downloaded Mint KDE via torrent, and then I used UNetBootin to create a bootable USB stick of the .ISO file.

It seemed to work correctly, and then I booted using the USB.

However, on boot, I'm taken to this black screen with one long line saying a copyright notice: 'Copyright 1994-2010 Peter alvin'. The screen remains stuck on this, and nothing happens. Eventually if I press tab, then I see a line saying something like 'ubunto0 ubunto1 ubunto2 ...'. If I type 'y' and press enter, it says 'bad kernal image y' or 'no kernal image y', same if I type help and press enter.

What do I need to do to progress beyond this screen?

xenopeek
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Stuck on black screen when booting

Postby xenopeek » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:31 am

If you boot from the USB, do you get the 10 second count down screen? If so, press a key and select to boot compatibility mode.

Otherwise, Linux Mint recommends the Universal USB Installer for Windows users: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/. Step 1 is to select the Linux Mint version you want to install, step 2 to browse to where you have the ISO. If you are on Linux, recommend you just use dd: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/744

digitman
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Stuck on black screen when booting

Postby digitman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:59 am

I think I just didn't have enough space on the USB drive I used, I tried it with a 99x MB drive. Or it might've been an issue with the KDE ISO. When I tried it with Mate and on a 2 GB usb (which took up about 1.2 gb space) then it worked okay. :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”