Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
BobLinuxW8
Level 1
Level 1

Dual boot with Linux Mint and Windows 8 backing up

Post by BobLinuxW8 »

I installed a dual boot system with Windows 8 Pro 64 and Linux Mint Nadia 64
When I make image backups from the partitions with a Linux based liveCD (FileZilla, PMagic etc)
the grub file is not correct anymore after the backup and Linux is not bootable anymore. Re-installation of both O.S. was needed.
Because grub editing is(stil)l to complicated for me, I use now Seagateś live-cd wizzard what works fine for me (as long the Seagate harddisk is in my hardware).
Other solution welcome!
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Dual boot with Linux Mint and Windows 8 backing up

Post by riki »

Bob, trying to install Linux on a Windows 8 machine is a complete waste of time. I have spent days trying all sorts but the W8 block is yet to be cracked. I have ended up with half my HD as an unallocated partition that I can't even merge or use. So from an initial 750GB HDD laptop I now only have 350GB in "C" used by W8. I will never ever buy another PC with Windows on it.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

riki - was bios mode enabled ?
- in the bios - rather than secure boot?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

Pierre wrote:riki - was bios mode enabled ?
- in the bios - rather than secure boot?.
Yes Pierre, it was. I enabled Legacy which automatically disabled UEFI. Everybody is trying to find a solution and some even claim that they can bypass W8 restrictions but to this date there is absolutely nothing that most of us can do. Perhaps some experts can. I have stopped tinckering for fear of breaking the system and end up with a uselss machine that can't even boot W8. Linux might come up with the answer one of these days. I won't hold my breath though.
BobLinuxW8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BobLinuxW8 »

@ Riki & Pierre,
Up to now W8 and Linux systems work good one next to the other. To install both OS on my new build PC I followed the intructions I found on several websites. (starting with W8 Pro 64 installation, than install Linux Mint from dvd and it worked). The problem I have is when I use the typical Linux Live cdś to make backups (that is why I use the Seagate live cd ). All Linux livecdś seem to modify (after a restore of the backup image) the existing grub-script what was OK for the dual boot. And my knowledge of Grub is not good enough to correct it. That was the reason for my question on the forum.
The reason that I still use Windows is for a few softawre packages where I still did not find a real full compatible solution in Linux mMnt. Among these are
- MediaMonkey (Amarok is as far I evaluted it not enough for me)
- Nikon ViewNX2 for my camera
- PC-Planner (a marine navigation tool with C-MAP charts)
- Duplex print (on my Epson XP-800 printer)

All my other needs seem to work at least as good and in some cases much better under control of Linux, so far I tested it, because it is only the beginning for me.

Bob
-
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

Bob, I think you are referring to a different issue. We are talking about a Windows 8 machine with a factory pre-installed Windows 8 operating system. That is the problem.
BobLinuxW8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BobLinuxW8 »

Riki,
That is right. My situation is different. I build my PC and bought the windows 8 OEM Pro licence for system builders. I spend some time investigating which license I had to buy, because information was quite unclear. A lot of shops advised me wrongly on this matter. So after all I have a working dual boot system. Meanwhile the duplex problem with my epson printer in Linux is solved too.(just to make information more complete).
Bob

Return to “Installation & Boot”