trouble shutting down linux mint 14

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
selva@25

trouble shutting down linux mint 14

Post by selva@25 »

hi.. i am newbie to linux. icant shut down my mint even after closing all programs... the terminal opens showing signs of shutting down but my system dont shut down... a blank screen appears.. then i switch off the power.. i have intel quad core, nvidia 8600gt, 2gb ram... help me overcome this problem... thank u.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
highcannons

Re: trouble shutting down linux mint 14

Post by highcannons »

selva@25 wrote:hi.. i am newbie to linux. icant shut down my mint even after closing all programs... the terminal opens showing signs of shutting down but my system dont shut down... a blank screen appears.. then i switch off the power.. i have intel quad core, nvidia 8600gt, 2gb ram... help me overcome this problem... thank u.
I have been googling around to find a solution to this problem and came across this post. It seems there is an issue somewhere with Debian based OS's with sutdown/power off? I have a Packard Bell Easynote (MV46?) which loads and runs Mint 14 very nice but will not shut down properly. This is the same from live dvd or installed. I have tried Mint 13 and Peppermint 3 with the same result. Laptop behaves correctly with Windows . The machine has to be shut down by holding power button down. Some posts elsewhere have suggested that maybe this is ok but it really isn't - it's the sort of thing that can put newcomers to Linux off. I would be glad to hear of some suggestions to this. I am going to try an older system (Unbuntu 10.4) to see what happens and will post the results. Cheers
highcannons

Post by highcannons »

I have tried Ubuntu 10.4 with the same result........ :(
Hugo Notte

Post by Hugo Notte »

It sounds like the ACPI driver is unable to control the power saving features (if there are any) of your motherboard. You might want to check in your BIOS, whether or not ACPI is enabled. If you find it disabled, set it to enabled. Mint should then be able to shut down your pc. If you find it enabled and the shut down doesn't work, then the linux acpi driver struggles to communicate with your MB properly.

Return to “Installation & Boot”