Ati Mobility Radeon HD5470 driver problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
0nur

Ati Mobility Radeon HD5470 driver problem

Post by 0nur »

Hello guys,

I'm really excited about upgrading to Linux (Mint or Ubuntu) but i have unsolved problem which make me think. First of all i should say i'm searching about this problem for 2 day on net.

I first install my Ubuntu near 2 years ago to my Acer Aspire one and quiet satiffied as a secondary os. But nowadays i want to upgrade my main laptop (Haier T5M1) to Linux distro. 3 days ago i tried to install Ubuntu because i had an experience on that (may be not deep but better than none :) ) I installed it without any problem and start to download several softs. like Gimp & Inkscape, btw i'm an graphic designer.

There wasn't any problem until i wanted to try HTML5 game on it. My laptop was really hot, system shut itself automaticly and did not open for 2-3 minutes. Then i reboot it as win7 and made a search about overheating problem. Main reason -as my research, is GPU power management of pre-installed ati drivers are not good enough and cause those kinf of problems. So they suggest to get driver from ati's web site and install it.

Thats what i did, take the latest stable 64bit driver of my ati mobility radeon HD5x catalyst package and installed. It says "system needs a full reboot (what is the difference between full reboot and reboot) on installing tutorials. Then i reboot it and... Voila, very charming purplish blank screen appeared. It said "Xos bla bla.." common error about the video card driver as i research on web again.

They recommend to re install the old drivers which i failed to do..

Then i uninstall Ubuntu and make another search about this problem on net. I found several similar topics on mint forum and there are lots off different suggestions which solved their problems. I liked that v.much so this time i download Mint 14 and install it instead of Ubuntu. It was much more easier to install that driver with mint (right click and permission to allow to run as program thing). I was impressed and excited, i though "my nightmares are over, i can use Linux without any problem from now on" i was very happy, atleast until i 'reboot' it. Same error message screened and Mint opened only as terminal mode like MsDos. I can't use recover or else.

I research about on this forum, found several ways & tips, tried to follow them. Some of them did not worked others i couldn't manage to do with my little Linux knowledge. So i'm still writing these on Windows 7. Is there another solution? Any step by step guide or i don't know, anything which will work?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Ati Mobility Radeon HD5470 driver problem

Post by jungle_boy »

Try 13th version, it has a graphical additional drivers installer.

Open source drivers usually work better than proprietary drivers; to find out if your video card is running, open the terminal and type:

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
0nur

Post by 0nur »

I download and install Mint13. Unfortunately system stil says 'Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface).

When i select 'Ok' on 'The X server is now disabled. Restart MDM when it is configured correctly.' still getting that damnd blank screen. Only thing i can do is 'Ctrl+Alt+Del' which stops the MDM mode.

Now should i re install all the Mint System again?? This is the 5th time i install Linux (Ubuntu x2 and Mint x3) and really tired of this. I may try to use it without proper driver but i beleive it will burn hardware soon. Is there any one who had same problem and really solved it? Please don't send quick search links as 'You may check this' because i look most of them many times.

Should i give up on Linux and keep with W7? I don't want it and need you help.
Monarch

Post by Monarch »

hey Onur the beta drivers do not suport your ati card
i have the same lapt has you Acer Aspire 5742ZG, if im not mestaken thats the one you have ther

you have to use the 13.1 version to enable your card,
with the black screen just wait a minute or so, after that go tty CTRL+ALT+F2

cd /usr/share/ati
ls
check the ati uninstaller
./fglrx-uninstall.sh

reboot the machine install the 13.1 driver, and reboot
works greate in Mint 13 precise 64 bit

uname -a && lspci | grep VGA && inxi -Gx
Linux lunix 3.2.0-38-generic #61-Ubuntu SMP Tue Feb 19 12:18:21 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series]
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.11.3 driver: Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series GLX Version: 1.4 (2.1 (4.2.12002 - CPC 9.012)) Direct Rendering: No

hope this helps, NOTE i think they are about to drop suport for the 5 series not sure :S

Return to “Installation & Boot”