Unable to install LM 13 from dvd

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Unable to install LM 13 from dvd

Post by excollier »

I have tried unsucessfully to install LM 13 Cinnamon or Mate to a laptop, I could get Ubuntu 12.04 to install but it had problems, PC Linux OS installed too, with problems. I ended up installing Kubuntu from a CD .iso.
The laptop is a HP Pavillion dv5 1111ea,
The install dvd, which I used for the laptop I am using presently, is the one I tried, but it hangs with just a mouse pointer and black screen at the point where the desktop screen with the install option should display.
Any pointers? Kubuntu is playing up in that now YouTube only plays in fast forward mode for Firefox and Chromium, although it started off ok. That's why I would like a fix to installing LM 13 instead, I know where I stand with it and it is far better than Kubuntu (in my opinion).
Everything else in Kubuntu seems ok, but Mint would be better.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
usbtux

Re: Unable to install LM 13 from dvd

Post by usbtux »

Have you tried Mint 13 xfce? this should work on older equipment as the Desktop Environment is much lighter. Failing that try linuxlite.
olle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by olle »

You possibly need to insert "nomodeset" into the boot command line ?

Pls check /viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

I have found that LM12 lxde will boot (cd iso) and the install process will start, so now to decide, also Zorin OS 6 Lite co-operates with it.
It seems cd isos work better (Ubuntu 12.04.2, Kubuntu, Zorin Lite) Linux lite went through the install process (dvd) then failed right at the end.
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
rben

Post by rben »

Symptoms indicate you may have issues with the slideshow. See thread above, "Slideshow may kill your installation script and work-around", for how to disable.

Return to “Installation & Boot”