BOOT error

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimint
Level 1
Level 1

BOOT error

Post by jimint »

hi,i love Bianca,great job to all involved.
I have a problem,when i boot i get error 18 and error 16,i have a Maxtor 30 G HDD set as Master for Linux and WD 40 G as Slave for WIN XP.BIOS only lets me set HDD as auto or disabled.Any one have this problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Hdd as slave - don't

Post by Husse »

Not that I really understand what you write but you should never have (or at least avoid as long as humanly possible) a hdd as slave. Especially, but not only, with older motherboards and disks you will get problems. //Edit
You can't have two active disks on the same PATA-channel (=IDE cable) as far as I know. The motherboard will have a hard time to know which one should boot. Has nothing to do with master/slave or GRUB etc. I should say that I've never tested, though.//
If you get an error code after control of the boot process is handed over to the OS, i.e. Mint, it 'should' not have anything to do with BIOS. If the BIOS on the other hand does not let you have the disks set up as you indicate it's a hardware problem you should solve by setting both disks as master on separate PATA channels (and optical units as slave) (With SATA there is one unit per channel)
Last edited by Husse on Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Installation & Boot”