Can't find Linux partiton after installed alongside Windows

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
habbes

Can't find Linux partiton after installed alongside Windows

Post by habbes »

I recently downloaded and installed Linux Mint 4 64-Bit on a notebook already loaded with Windows 7. Prior to installation I had created a 100GB partition where I would install Linux. During installation, I was given 3 options:1)Install alongside Win7 2)Replace Win7 3)Something else (manage partitions). I actually went with option 1. Once it was done, it seemed to work ok but I can't tell on which drive it has been installed. The 100GB blank partition is still unused, and when I go to Disk Mgmnt in Windows, the other partitions are the Recovery and OS (where Win7 is located). In Linux I only see the OS drive in "Computer", I'm not sure whether it was installed on the same partition as Win7 (I'm new to Linux). Not I want to uninstall it and during installation choose option 3 and manually set it to install to the 100GB partition, though I'm not sure how to uninstall and remove Linux when I'm not sure where it's located. I heard one should first restore window's MBR and the remove the Linux partition.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Can't find Linux partiton after installed alongside Wind

Post by Pierre »

are you able to use the live_DvD to get to the partition manager <Gparted>
and past a screen_shot of the drive partitions ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

A wubi or mint4win (mint's wubi instller) install does not use a partition, it is rather a file on the host, similar in a way to how a VM installation works..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wubi_linux
  • Wubi adds an entry to the Windows boot menu which allows the user to run Linux. Ubuntu is installed within a file in the Windows file system (c:\ubuntu\disks\root.disk), as opposed to being installed within its own partition. This file is seen by Linux as a real hard disk.[1] Wubi also creates a swap file in the Windows file system (c:\ubuntu\disks\swap.disk), in addition to the memory of the host machine. This file is seen by Ubuntu as additional RAM.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

if the OP is using Mint 14, then that doesn't come with wubi

probably need him to give the output of " fdisk -l "

to see just the OP really has got.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Installation & Boot”