Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Level 1
Level 1

Bootup Manager (BUM) and unneeded services

Postby nicci » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:24 pm

:?: Hello,

I have stuff running on my system.. modemmanager, bluetooth, some ppp stuff, samba that are all listed in upstart (initctl list | grep running). I also have things that are run as services that initctl doesn't list (apache, mysql, etc.)

I have tried using bootup manager. The official site shows a screenshot of somewhat of what I want (and until I can find documentation for upstart that makes sense I can't really write one but I do have a work in progress)

What I have from bum, however, is largely a list of guid type numbers, instead of a description, along with a service name.

When I tried to, for example, disable bluetooth and modemmanager, I found those services, after reboot, to, once again, be running. Mind you this is on a desktop system without a modem or bluetooth hardware. While I can rant about how init stuff changes every 18 months or so this isn't the time or place, but, sheesh, managing services seems a lot easier in Windows -- but Windows does not provide the environment I need to what I do.

Is there an official way to manage service in Linux Mint Nadia (14)? Why does bum not work? Is this a matter of Mint's upstart not being "proper"?

Are there ways I can debug the interaction between bum and upstart so that I can figure out why disabling services doesn't actually work? Or am I stuck running services for non-existent hardware and networking features I do not need?
Linux Mint Nadia Kernel 3.8.8/Fedora 18 Spherical Cow Kernel 3.8.8/Windows 7 - Linux User/Hacker since 1992. Unix User/Hacker since 1984.

Level 1
Level 1

Re: Bootup Manager (BUM) and unneeded services

Postby Skrell » Fri May 24, 2013 11:11 pm

I would also love to know the answer to this!! :)

Level 1
Level 1

Re: Bootup Manager (BUM) and unneeded services

Postby Redondo » Sat May 25, 2013 1:37 am

Here's the Upstart Cookbook, but first read this blog on Upstart intro.

By the way boot up manager doesn't work well or at all with upstart, since a lot of init.d have been turned over to upstart.

Interesting I find my bluetooth stopped and modemmanager still running.:

Code: Select all

$ initctl status bluetooth
bluetooth stop/waiting
$ initctl status modemmanager
modemmanager start/running, process 794

Have you checked the config files at /etc/init?

Return to “Installation & Boot”