Resizing partitions during installation

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred

Re: Resizing partitions during installation

Post by Fred »

Eric Weir,

I would suggest you use the latest stable version of Gparted Live cd to adjust your partitions. Then use the install cd to install the partitions you have pre-made.

First, I think it is simpler to do it that way. Less likely to get confused. More importantly, partition resizing and moving is a relatively new feature and the later versions are more mature and reliable than the version on the install cd.

Go to the url below and download and burn the latest stable version of the Gparted Live cd iso, s-l-o-w-l-y. Use that to adjust your partition size. then go to the install cd and select manual when you get to the partitioning part. Assign your mount points and you should be good to go. Be sure not to select to format your /home partition if you want to keep your data intact.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=271779

10 Gig should be plenty for your / partition. If you are using it as a general purpose desktop and you are maxing out a 10 Gig partition, I would suspect something to be wrong with the install.

Fred
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Can I move the swap partition between them without losing any of the data in the /home partition?
Yes, but you risk loosing data, this is definitely not a manoeuver I'd recommend
Fred

Post by Fred »

Eric Weir,

Don't worry about adjusting your partition sizes at this point. Install Mint / into the 7.5 Gig partition you have. Select manual on the partitioning screen of the installer and assign your mount points. Again, don't select to format /home if you want to keep your data.

After the install you can then download the Gparted cd and resize your / partition if you wish.

Fred
Fred

Post by Fred »

Eric Weir,

The mount point for the swap partition is "swap." Just select it from the drop-down list that you select the other mount points from.

Fred
Fred

Post by Fred »

Eric Weir,

You should be able to install the appropriate driver with "envy," which is part of the distro. "envy" downloads the driver and installs it for you.

Fred
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

Eric Weir wrote:
Eric Weir wrote:I have an extra hd that I was going to put in as a place to backup stuff. I think instead, I'm gonna install it as sda and install Mint on it, partitioning it the way I want. The current sda will be moved to sdb, and then I can move my /home folder from it to the /home partition on the new sda.

I assume that after doing that I can reformat the old sda/new sdb so that I wipe out all data and traces of the previous installation and start with a clean slate on it.
Well, Mint is finally installed, on the new hd, so I was able to set the partitions up the way I wanted without having to repartition the old hd. I've moved the contents of my old /home folder to the new on on the new drive.

There's something weird, though. My very first installation back last August was on a 10 Gb hd. The next installation -- immediately preceding the installation of Mint -- was to the 40Gb hd that I'm now using as my second drive. At the time of that installation I made the 10 Gb drive my second drive, copied over my /home folder, then trashed everything on the drive. I thought I had an empty drive. Now, after installing Mint, this installation, to the 10 Gb hd, is showing up as a third drive, even though it's no longer in the machine.

How do I get rid of the two unwanted installations, the one on my current second drive, from which I just copied the /home folder, and the one before that, that I thought I'd gotten rid of? Deleting and trashing don't seem to do it.

I hope this isn't confusing. I'm also wondering of this "ghost" installation -- after deleting it I never saw it again on the last installation -- explains how the /root partition of the last installation got almost completely full, which is apparently why my system became so excruciatingly slow.

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
I'm curious, as I have had this happen as well. :o

Return to “Installation & Boot”