4GB RAM shows up as 3GB on x86_64

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
x61-stand

4GB RAM shows up as 3GB on x86_64

Post by x61-stand »

This is kind of a long-standing issue with all Linux versions I've used on the X61 tablet. Mint has fixed so many other issues, maybe this one too.

The 64 bit OS Linux Occulus 3.5.0-25-generic only registers 3GB of my 4GB physical RAM. What is happening? I've gone through dmesg without finding anything obvious.

The X61 tablet bios doesn't report memory correctly to grub when >= 4GB, so, the boot hangs unless you use the mem=4000MB boot option. That part works. So, I've explicitly told the OS that I have 4GB. Is it ignoring me? Do I need to tell it elsewhere that I have 4GB?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: 4GB RAM shows up as 3GB on x86_64

Post by xenopeek »

What kind of graphics card do you have? If you have an IGP (integrated graphics processor) and not a discrete graphics chip, your IGP will use part of the system memory for its own use. 1 GB sounds a bit much, but misconfiguration in the BIOS could do that.

To check some things, please run the following command on the terminal and copy the output here. You can copy text to/from the terminal, see its Edit menu. Running the command, you will be asked to type your password but note that the terminal doesn't show any characters or move the cursor as you type a password.

Code: Select all

free -m ; sudo lshw -C memory
The command will take a few seconds to complete.

Return to “Installation & Boot”